Would it be weird to name my baby the same name as a friend?

Me and my husband have one name we agree on for a girl. The thing is it's the same name as our pastor's daughter. She is in college, not a young kid or anything, but do you think it would be weird to name the baby the same thing? Or how would you feel if it were you that someone name their baby your name? My husband's in the Air Force, so we would be moving at some point when the baby's still young.

montanagal2005

Asked by montanagal2005 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Baby Names

• Name your baby whatever you want. Unless you pick something like Rhododendron, you are probably going to know other people with the same name, where ever you live. I can think of at least 5 people with the same name as my daughter right now. Are you naming her this name because of the friend or simply because you like the name?
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• With the age gap I don't think it would be a big deal. Is it a really unique name were it would be assumed you took their idea. I personally think it would a bit of an honor to know that you liked the name so much you choose it as well. Nowadays, there seems to be hardly anyone who doesn't meet quite a few other people with the same name.
    If you really like it...go for it!!
    parris3

Answer by parris3 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• we all share names with someone...except for beyonce...but even now she has little girls named after her. If you like the name I'd pick it and if they ask tell them you like it.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think if you like the name, then use it. : ) My husband's cousin named her daughter the same name as my daughter and they are close in age. I don't mind. It's not abig deal to me because we live in different towns and have different last names. However, My MIL is still upset 30 years later that her brother named one of his kids the same as one of her kids. They are 15 year apart and live in different towns and have different last names too.
    One thing that does bother me though is that my brother named his dog the same name as my daughter when my daughter was about a year old. That is kind of annoying.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• my daghters name is alexis...and since i had her, 6 yrs ago..my sisters friend (shes a famaily friend as well) used alexis, one of my really good friends used alexis for a middle name, a guy friend used it for first name, and another friend used it for their dog..lol..and then i have another friend, whos friends used it...they know my daughter thru my daughters dad..i dont know them tho...so i guess its not tooooo weird..lol..i personally couldnt do that...example..i really love the name paige...but my sister has a friend who named their daughter that..im totally not friends with them at all...we all take the kids to the beach or waterslides in the summer together..but me and her never talk, ever!!! but because she used it, i dont think i could..actually..i kinda regret not using it as a middle name for alexis..but...to late now!! lol..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:33 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it, just use it!!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No big deal we are named the same sometime or another. Go for it!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't see a problem with it!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• There are tons of people that share names... unless her names is made up and has special significance to the family... Like Renesme LOL then I think you can use any name you want.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i don't think it would be weird. if my mom's friend had a baby and named her stefanie, i know my mom wouldn't mind at all and neither would i :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2010