now what?

My doctor said it's ok to start cereal for my 4 1/2 month old daughter. How much and how often should I give it to her?

JaimiesMom

Asked by JaimiesMom at 8:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on what kind of cereal you're talking about.

I started to feed my girl mashed carrots when she was almost 4months old. After a couple weeks she knew how the spoon works and I started to give her milk cereal for dinner plus some warm tea. For breakfast she still got her bottle and for lunch the carrots... I only gave her the milk cereals ever other day though for a few weeks. Because its really heavy in the belly.

Id suggest to start it once a day with lots of tea or veggie/fruit-juice so she wont constipate.

:)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• rice cereal for dinner. if your LO takes an 8 oz bottle then give her cereal from a spoon and then give her a 6oz bottle, so it will fill her up if the cereal didn't. she'll let you know when she's full if she has the bottle last.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• When my kids were babies I gave them the cereal and a little juice in the morning to start. Then as I added other jar foods, I gave a little bit before bed too. (Helped them sleep longer). To start I made enough to mix with 2oz of breast milk/formula. Then gradually added more when they got used to it.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I started my kids on rice, but it constipated them so we switched to oatmeal. At about 6 or 7 months I move them to Cream of Wheat (the baby directions are on the side). When I first started cereal I'd just put a little of the powdered cereal in a small bowl and add enough water to make it that stage between thick and runny. You can also use formula or breast milk instead of water. After we knew the kids wouldn't have any reaction to fruits and veggies they got cereal mixed with fruit for breakfast, cereal mixed with veggies for lunch or dinner. Plus bottles in between.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My pedi gave me a handout on introducing new foods... cereals begin with 1 tblspon day one, 2 tblsp on day 2, 3tblsp on day 3, and 4 tblsp on day 4. You can mix the cereal with water or formula to the consistency you like ( I would start more runny and work towards thicker later). My son had been drinking 7-8oz of formula, but now I make a 6oz bottle, mix his cereal and feed it; finish with the remaining formula. We are doing this at breakfast only, and will add a second meal when he is around 5 months and the third meal when he is close to six months.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2008