Does my DD need to RF on an airplane? (9 months)

We are going on a trip next weekend and instead of taking her infant carrier (she is a very heavy baby) we bought a cosco scenera. Does she need to be RF in the airplane or does it matter? :) *sorry. We have never traveled with kids so im new to this*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Travel

• You'd be better off taking her infant seat. She'd be safer. There isn't much room on an aircraft to rearface a convertible seat.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• and if i'm not badly mistaken if you purchased her seat she would be required to be rearfacing... I may be wrong so you may have to check with the airlines but just to be extra cautious i'd rearface her.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Did you buy her a seat? No, they do not rear face. They will strap her seat in facing forward and she will have to sit by the window. Take a sippy/bottle for takeoff and landing for popping ears. :) Have fun!!
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 3:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We are rear facing our son on our trip. Everything I have read says its best to rearface even on an airplane. And AngeLn- We also bought a seat for our toddler who will be in her carseat, and she will be forward faced so I dont think they have to be RF. 

livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 3:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Love2snorkel- what if you take an infant seat on the plane? do they forward face those? our son will be in his infant carrier. Just for my own personal info
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 3:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, the forward face and use an extender on the seat belt for the infant carrier. I have flown with 3 infants more than once. Even more bizarre, if you are doing the lap thing (which is free under the age of 2) you cannot hold them in a carrier through take off and landing. Annoying to me.... You are holding them and they are typically asleep, but you have to take them out of the carrier to take off and land....
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 3:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• they... And I mean a carrier like the baby bjorn...
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 3:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If you actually bought her a ticket, she doesn't even NEED to ride in a carseat on the plane. A lot of parents just strap in the kids, or even use a child seatbelt. There is no requirement to be rearfacing for a plane. If she has outgrown her infant carseat (ie: bigger then the weight limit) then take the convertible. it's the carseat you'll be using on the other side of the plane, and I would want her to be safe there too.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My DD is under 2, so I always just get an infant in lap ticket and have flown with her many times... I've never even seen ANYONE on a plane rearface the child seat lol... Just from personal experience.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• They don't want you to and some don't allow rear facing, the car seats won't fit...
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 3:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2010