20 words by 18 months?

Is it true that a child should be saying 20 words by 18 months of age? My DD is 15 months, and says about 8 words... and then she signs some words... does the sign language count?

Just curious... I want to see if she's developing properly.. last doctors appointment was at 12 months and she wasn't quite up to par on her walking.. (she was only pulling up and coasting furniture.. couldn't stand up in the middle of a room yet etc)

MomtoElliett

Asked by MomtoElliett at 4:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son didn't say boo until he was 2 1/2. We were starting to get worried, but he just wasn't vocal. He is almost 10 and he still doesn't say much ( he is a very good student). My daughter is 3 and she started talking early and never is quiet. I really think it's just personality. i don't believe there is any specific age for 20 words unless of course they are 5 and still at 20 words.

My son also didn't walk until he was 13 1/2 months. My daughter walked before 12 months.

I'm sure she is just fine. It sounds like she is doing really well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i think sign language should count.

just like spanish should count!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Every child is different. One of my twins was talking in short sentences by then. The other was not.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010