"I think there fore I am" Can you prove that God exists?

Descartes said "I think therefore I am" as a proof for his own existence. Extrapolating from that, can any individual prove that a second individual exists? How can one prove to themselves that another person exists beyond their imagination?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 4:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Hmmm... even if you ask a second person and they say 'yes, so-and-so does exist, they are standing right there'  it could STILL be your imagination making up that second person and  their opinion...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Of course it can't be proven. Just like it can't be proven he doesn't exist....well it can depending on how one defines god.It all comes down to faith.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Faith is a personal thing, not a FACTUAL HARD MATTER PROOF THING. you cannot prove faith that way
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• God Said I AM :-) He knows He exists... :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You can't, it's a personal thing, Something within a human being to connect with the spiritual world, believing in GOD makes me feel good as a person. Who's to say who's right or wrong? I don't know if we'll ever know.
    fmccoy1377

Answer by fmccoy1377 at 5:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I can see where you are coming from here... BUT, I can say without any conflict that know there are other people... I couldn't in my wildest dreams imagine or think up some of these people or what they do...

On the other hand, Gods are something different... It's something personal, something that does exist within out hearts and our heads FIRST and outside of us SECOND... How can I say that? Well, even if Gods do exist without us, without that faith and belief deep within out hearts and heads no one would even know they were there. They would be little more than stories in a book like Cinderella or Robin Hood... In fact many Gods are little more than stories to some people. If you ask a Christian if Zeus exists they are going to say "no, it's just a myth" but ask someone like myself and I'll tell you different, because in my heart and head, I KNOW he does...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My children are enough proof to me.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Nope, I think the proof is in the faith. =)
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 5:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Logically, the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim of god's existence. I am an atheist. I choose to reserve judgement on whether god exists or not until I have suffiencient proof from the godslaves who make this outrageous claim. Now, they keep claiming that they HAVE the proof. They just don't choose to share it with a non-believer and, possibly, change their minds. This makes no sense to me, but then I don't see very much common sense in ANYTHING christians do. That's one reason they emphisize faith, because faith is believing in something you know cannot possibly be proven true. Religion is the adult version of a game of "Let's pretend."
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I can definitely prove that another individual exists. I can show my husband and children, for starters and prove they exist. Can I prove G-d, as I believe in Him exists? No. But that's the way it's supposed to be. Otherwise His most valuable gift to us, our free will, would mean nothing. What real free will would we have if there was actual, incontrovertible proof of G-d's existence? If G-d's existence could be proven, if He became incontrovertible fact, who in their right mind will not believe in G-d? That person would be considered as stupid as one claiming not to believe in gravity. So where would our free will be? it would be non-existent as we wouldn't have the logical option not to believe. So our own merits, our whole purpose depends on the absence of proof, of G-d being "hidden" from us and our own process of searching and finding that His existence is the only possible option.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2010