Could the same goal have been achieved with out Jesus death?

Since Jesus could forgive sins while he was alive, why should he have to die? Why does the death of the physical body of a Son of God forgive sins? Isn't it all little more than the justification of an evil, unfair murder of an innocent man? Couldn't almighty God come up with a better solution to sin than having his Son murdered? Just because the prophets could predict that Jesus would be killed, does that mean it was DESIRABLE and unavoidable? Why did Saint Paul INTERPRET that Jesus came for the express purpose of dying for sins, when Jesus himself (in answer to the question) stated that he came to bear witness to the truth, and the TRUTH (not his death) will set you free?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 4:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The sacrificed god-man is a common theme in many ancient religions and beliefs. Jesus hardly did it first--IF he even did it at all. Think about how warped this concept is. God made human beings imperfect and prone to making mistakes. He forbids them to make these mistakes, in spite of the fact that he's the one who made them this way. He then demands murder and slaughter before he will consent to forgive the mistakes that you make because that's the way he created you. If the biblical god had just said, "Ask me for forgiveness and I will forgive you." all would have been well. But, he couldn't do that. His mercy was limited. He needed the blood and gore FIRST. If he had taken the easy way, Jesus wouldn't have had to die. He just couldn't give up his blood-thirst. He couldn't deal with his own creations face to face. So he took the coward's way out.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• The sacrifice He gave was the atonement for sin, the cleansing of our unrighteousness. We are cleansed in his blood. Without that we would not have the personal relationship with God. It would still be about making sacrifices and living under the law. His sacrifice, his blood covers us in his righteousness, so that we are righteous. The Old Testament as well as human history and experience tells us that trying of our own power to be righteous doesn't work. We have a nature to sin. Even if we don't act on the majority of our evil thoughts, the fact that they were evil thoughts is still sin. We needed a saviour. This is one reason why I believe in the holy trinity. Jesus qualified for that sacrifice because he was without sin. He was without sin because He was God the son. This wasn't something God had to do. He didn't owe us. It was a gift He gave us because of His love for us and because He is merciful.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• no, I don't think so. Jesus was put here on earth for a reason and he served his purpose and I know when the day comes Jesus will guard us and will accompany us into heaven. and Jesus is the truth, the truth that God exist the truth that all the things that happened on earth were from God, the truth that someday we will all be in paradise. Back then like now there were soo many religions...so many people "saying" what the truth was...there is only one truth and that is Jesus our Savior.....just like we have our heavenly father God.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 4:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It was his Sacrifice that set us free. that gave us forgiveness our sins so we can go to heaven if we have accepted him and his sacrifcice. I dont think it would have had the same effect for him to just declare it and then eat lunch ya know?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• John 8:31-32
    If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No it would have been incomplete had He not died. He was still living in OT Covenant and although He had the power to forgive, He still needed to be the sacrifice to take upon Himself the sins of the world, the sickness. Without this we would still be sacrificing lamb and all those other animals to gain atonement for sin. Jesus was the final sacrifice for all. He did indeed say " It is finished" meaning the sacrifice was done, the taking upon the sin the being crucified on the cross so that we can be free.

All sin is already removed from us once we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.. so why do people still sin. Many dont realise how free they are. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You can't give a gift unwanted, witchqueen if you do, it is squandared and wasted. Common sense. God doesn't forbid us from making mistakes. He tells us to repent and seek his face because he knows we will make mistakes. He wants us to let go of them and have hope and faith to start over again. Repenting is the way to do that.

God created beings with a heart, a mind a soul, a will. It wouldn't be loving or merciful for him to create us to love Him and serve Him with no will of our own, no choice in the matter. The fact that he is a loving God shows in the fact that he created us to love Him and to love one another by choice. No matter how you try to twist it, His ways are merciful and loving.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Having said that, God set those laws for sacrifice in the Old Testament. And just because of who He is and how he works He didn't break his own laws when he came to set us free from sin. He sacrificed His son, Himself according to the same laws He gave us but he went way and above. How extravagant a love that is!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I actually agree with you. I don't believe in the Atonement. I believe an all powerful God Who wants all His creation to rejoin Him upon death can make that happen without needlessly killing a man. I don't believe its the death that "saves" us, but God Himself. Butwhile I don't believe Jesus "needed" to die, I believe that His death was another way in which God spoke to a group of people in order to provide them a way to Him.
    Look how many Christians there are in the world. Do we think that there would be this many if Jesus hadn't died on the cross and "arose?"
    Would His message have been enough to carry through His death, or to carry through His life if He hadn't died on the cross?
    I can't say.
    What I can say is that the Passion is a love story unrivaled by any other, one of the greatest examples of love - love of God, love for God, and love for fellow man - we ever see....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When we die we all sins are removed from us but some will be alive when He returns, needing his sacrifice and attonement.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2010