What are your thoughts?

The Georgia director of Rural Development "has resigned" due to a video of her stating her racist views, where she took her time trying to decided just how much she would do to help a white farmer to save his farm. She gave this speech to the NAACP in MARCH, but it took until it was made public for the NAACP to condemn her blatant racism.... Why did it take so long for the NAACP to recognize the racism here???

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/19/clip-shows-usda-official-admitting-withheld-help-white-farmer/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/20/shirley-sherrod-resigns-usda-naacp_n_652185.html

29again

Asked by 29again at 6:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• 29again

Comment by 29again (original poster) at 6:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Because it's not really going to cause a stir or issue unless it is public.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Because there are SOME members of the NAACP whose only agenda is to keep racism alive!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'll take the attacks this morning.
    The BS about there being no tolerance for discrimination in the USDA is BULLCRAP.
    I owned a simple hayfied in MS for about 3 years, and the benefits were thrown at us from the government and the representatives there. Why? Because we were white. And when asked if we could refuse the benefits we were told " a black man might get it"...yup....2006 not 1940. We never added our names to the waiting list, we never asked for anything, we tried to refuse the subsidies we did everything we could to refuse the benefits because I was afraid at some time I would have to pay it back. We weren't needy. The whites in the USDA office literally forced us to take the benefits to keep the few black farmers in our county from receiving anything. I finally just sold the farm to another woman, it was all I could do to try and make things fair. Cont...
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Holy Crud JewJewBee that's horrible. What happened when you reported it?
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 8:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Is this woman in the video racist? Probably, but the farmer she was dealing with was likely racist too and trying to intimidate her. 2 wrongs do not make a right and she likely knew of previous racists actions in her department favoring white people. So now maybe that county is a little more fair...I dunno.
    This is America, racism is still present and pretty much everyone is racist or sexist, or ageist against something. The NAACP doesn't need to recognize the racism because they specialize in minorities being oppressed, not majorities being oppressed. Soon they will have to redefine what they consider a majority.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:05 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• wha white man did you want me to report it to?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• With regards to the video, I'd like to see the whole thing. According to an article I read this morning she states that the rest of the speech goes on to say she realized what she did was wrong, and that she went back to the farmer and worked with him for two years to save his farm and became friends with him and his wife. That seems strange if she really thought he was a racist (trying to be superior to her), but makes the video suspicious as it clearly cuts the story off half way.

http://www.ajc.com/news/resigned-usda-official-says-574027.html

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 8:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You didn't report it? Okay, I really thought you must have from the tone of your story. But, are you really saying that EVERY white man that works for the USDA is a racist? I don't agree.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 8:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Bezu
    thanks for that link, Maybe God was at work in both of their hearts with that one. I dunno...but all I can say is that when you get into small towns, small southern towns, the black man is still oppressed and there are many who work hard to keep them oppressed.Most certainly in theUSDA or in politics. I knew white men in MS who purposely voted Democratic in their regions because it encouraged welfare and PA, and that was where they wanted to keep their black neighbors.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2010