Question about daycare?

Anyone ever transitioned a 15 month old into daycare from home care? My DD is not on a schedule of any kind, every day is different at home, and the daycare I'm putting her in eats breakfast at 8am, lunch at 11am, naps at 12-12:30 til 2, eats snack when they wake, and then they have another snack at 5pm.
Should I try to get her on this schedule before I start working? I just have an interview tomorrow, so it wouldn't be a guarenteed job. I currently also breastfeed her during the day before nap. They say to cut out one feeding a day to ween? Would it be okay to cut out this feeding first.. and to start when she starts daycare?

Thanks for the advice! No bashing for me getting a job please.

MomtoElliett

Asked by MomtoElliett at 7:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No bashing here- just some suggestions to make your life, your child's life, and the teacher's life (and sanity) much easier. I would try to get her on as close of a schedule to the daycares as possible. As far as the breastfeeding before naptime, if you are honestly looking for a job and are sure you will be going back to work soon, then please start weaning now. You don't want her first day of daycare to be her first day without her naptime breastfeeding. Also, from what I have noticed, starting a child in daycare at 15 months can be a little rough, but it can be done. If possible, I would try to transition her into the daycare. For example, on Monday, bring her into the daycare to play with the other kids, Tuesday, bring her in and you leave for about 2 hours, etc. By Friday, bring her in at the normal time you would if you were working and pick her up at the time you would if you just got off from work. Cont...

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Cont... If this is not possible to do, then talk with the teachers when she does start daycare for help with transitioning. I good teacher will help you ease your child into their new schedule and evironment. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well, she does eat at the same times everyday, but because she wakes up at a different time everyday, I find that she's tired at night and nap time at different times. I will stop breastfeeding during the day before transitioning her. I tried to give her milk at breakfast and lunch today, but she still wouldnt' nap without the breastmilk!
    I found that transitioning before 15 months was hard too. I worked at a daycare, and a little guy that transitioned at 12 months, cried for three straight months before he would enjoy himself there. I'm hoping she doesn't do the same, but she's now over stranger anxiety (she had a bad case of it) so I'm hoping that now is a better time for her to adjust to a different lifestyle.
    I never planned on being a SAHM, it just happened when she hit 6mon old and I could no longer pump enough to keep her breastfeeding. I wanted to continue that, so I quit my job.

Thanks for the help :)
    MomtoElliett

Comment by MomtoElliett (original poster) at 7:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2010