Does she want me to quit so she doesn't have to fire me?

My boss has yet again cut my hours. I am now down to 5 hours a week. When I went to talk with her about it, she said that those were the only hours available and that I would not be able to get anymore hours until the middle of August. I am the lead teacher at a daycare yet my assistant teacher gets more hours than me. I looked at the schedule to see if her story was true. Most of the lead teachers still are working 30-40 hours (1 took the summer off). My class has been low in enrollment because most of my kids have a teacher as a parent so they only come once a week or not at all until school starts back. She has a different person in there every day for my classroom (she hired a few college students to sub, fill in, and keep the rooms in ratio). I have been a very good employee and don't understand why she is doing this to me or why she wants me to quit! I am looking for another job but I am really upset over this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• If I were you, I would talk to her openly and honestly. I would tell her that I felt as if she wanted me to quit, and that I felt this way because even my assistant was getting more hours than me. I would tell her, that while I could understand how it would be easier to go this route, than to sit down and talk to someone face to face, that if she had a problem with me or my job performance, I would really appreciate if we discuss it directly. The worst that can happen is you will lose your job, and honestly, 5 hours a week really is not much of a job anyways.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Is there anyone working above her? I would go to HER boss. She could be trying to make you quit. I worked at a school during the summer once & i remember that all the hours were split evenly. There certainly was no one working only 5 hours while others were working 30-40. Those hours would be split & the work shared. Do you have any reasons to think that she might not like you? She might want you to quit. She probably can't fire you because she has no good reason too & she could possibly get in trouble for letting you go without reason.

I would go above her & talk to her boss, maybe even the superintendent. I would complain somehow....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• She is the owner so there is no going above her head. A few months ago, she admitted to me that she was trying to make an employee want to quit so she doesn't have to fire her. The only thing that I can think of for her not to like me is this- I think that she thinks I called state on her when it really was my assistant teacher who did. This was a few months ago. Last week, I brought something to her attention that could have gotten her in trouble had state walked in right then. I did it in a professional and polite manner and told her that I brought it to her attention so that she would not get in trouble. She is trying to get national accreditation and has told all of the employees that if they notice something that needs to be fixed then to let her know. Well, she made it very clear that she was not interested in following that state regulation.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Obviously, you make more then the other people. She's cutting YOUR hours cuz it cuts expenses... You should go to her and tell her that you won't stand for this and that when you were hired.. you were hired for a full time position! I would then tell her that she can't do that, and that you would like to have at least 30 hours like everyone else. Then I would find another job, cuz it sounds like she's a bitch.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It does sound as though you should be actively looking for another job. Maybe a second job to supplement the one you have now, with the thought that if you must quit your present job that you'll already be secure in another. I wouldn't wait on this but do it now.

Answer by Bmat at 8:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• this sucks did you ask her?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• She can cut your hours as long as she gives you advance notice in writing and it's not based on descriminatory practices. If it's for legitimate cost-cutting reasons, i.e., she has replacement workers that earn less money and/or costs for benefits are cut or eliminated, she is within her rights. As far as "squeezing you out" hoping you'll quit, that is a very common practice as well and again, as long as it's not based on descrimination against you for any protected class (race, gender age, etc.) and she's not creating or contributing to a "hostile work environment", she's within her rights.
    All of that to say, is it completely ethical and good business practice? Probably not. Good luck!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I personally went through this EXACT SAME scenario...and legally she can't really do anything, but make your life miserable....I did end up leaving...and mind you this was 10 years ago, but I have since heard this Head Director was also let go...sweet justice served.

I now Work Only for me, with my Biz at home and I make 2-3 times what I ever made doing that and Zero stress and 1/2 the time.
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It is definitely time to find a new job...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010