How long after giving birth should I wait to take a bath???

I'm 19 and I just I had my first child, a lil girl named Kayden, on 9-22-08, no drugs, an I guess she tore me something fierce at 7lbs 6oz... I'm not sure how many stitches I received, but I know it was quite a few single stitches...

I'm overly anxious to take a bath, as standing kills my back. (*Which is funny... i didn't have any back pain through my whole 41 weeks, but now OH MY my back is killing me!!!)

The hospital never told me when I could take a bath, and none of the papers I received say anything about baths just showers...

BUT I'm soooo anxious to take a bath, I'm just too scared to do it with out asking someone who knows my situation personally...

Please, I hope someone can tell me something to help...

Thank you-

<3 Kody

confusedanalone

Asked by confusedanalone at 8:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i think its til after your 6 weeks check up..
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My OB, midwife and nurse told me to wait with a bath until the your (after giving-birth-) period is gone. Since youre still bleeding it means the way to your uterus is still kind of open, means you can get infections.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i took a bath the day i got home! it was amazing and nothing happened to me.
    babykins362003

Answer by babykins362003 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My OB told me baths are safe really anytime. They use to think that the water in the tub (WHICH HAS GERMS IN IT ) would give u an infection and even when your preg. not to take a bath, but now they know that water doesn't get up inside the vaginal canal unless it is forced there. So, taking a bath just to soak should be fine. Take a shower first to clean urself and then soak and enjoy. Just don't force any water into the birth canal or if you have a jacuzzi bath leave the jets off. Hope this helps. Use a hot water bottle on your back as often as you can if your still to nervous to bathe.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Most of the book says 6 weeks. But if you are really itching to have a bath, i don't think taking one will hurt. Just don't go crazy to have a bath every day. Moderation is key.
    PeanutJordanMom

Answer by PeanutJordanMom at 8:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i was told i could take a shower right away a bath i had to wait after my 6 week check up
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 9:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• this doesn't answer your question but i noticed you named your lil' girl kayden. i have a 16 month old son and i also named HIM kayden. same spelling too...lol
    SpringMommy07

Answer by SpringMommy07 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My doctor told me to soak in a bath to help the stitches heal. =) That would've been great...if our bath tub wasn't broken! lol. So go jump in a nice warm bath and relax!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I took a bath in the hospital within a few hours after giving birth (both times.) The nurses said it was okay and it made the stitches feel so much better.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• lets see as soon as you can stand up on your own
    ksqueen

Answer by ksqueen at 1:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2008