What is form of discipline??

jodi43

Asked by jodi43 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• what are forms you mean? time outs, losing priveledges, losing toys, spanking
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My kids are older, 17, 16, and 11 so it's grounding from going out with friends and losing privileges now. But it was time outs and spanking when they were littler.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No spanking here. I take privileges away & this works like a charm!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We spanked our children and they have turned out beautifully. We are extremely proud of them and the adults they have become. They are now spanking their own children as well, and all of them are extremely well behaved and well-adjusted children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It depends on the offense but not all actions require discipline. I believe that it can be a learning experience just by discussing what the child did and how you want that behavior changed. Many parents skip that part and it is very important. If you don't tell the child that it shouldn't be done then how are they to know and the consequences of the action if they do it. Our job is to teach not just punish. BTW, spanking isn't an option for me. It's punishment but not discipline and in my opinion only teaches hitting is ok and bruises the spirit of the child. It can even create anger and they act out more.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Time out usually doesnt work for me, but I guess thats bc Im not consistant with using it. I usually just take toys away or something that they enjoy doing.
    kgmmw

Answer by kgmmw at 9:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Time outs, loss of privliges, loss of toys/gadgets .. Added chores to the list.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with Admkenzie, talking about the behavior and the consequences of how those behaviors can effect them over time. This is skipped over a lot and unless you explain why the child can't do something, or why you are angry or why you're punshing them they will never learn from the experience. I also spanked when they were very little but I stopped doing this once I figured out that talking works better, and I did some time outs as well or push ups was another one. Now that they are 15 and 12, I take away time with friends, this is most valued by them. It works and I stick to it, no friends during the day, no sleep overs, no parties and then I explain why, whether its broken trust (not staying safe or keeping in touch), not following the rules in the house, talking back (being disrespectful). Life is so much easier this way and I know my kids are learning and being guided into be great adults.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• spanking and timeout work great. we do talk about his behavior and tell him how it can effect everyone. we do not spank when we are angry. we talk about what he did wrong and why he is getting a spanking and then he gets two smacks on the butt and then he usually gives us a hug and says sorry and then we go about our day as normal. I thinking spanking teaches them that if i do something wrong there are consequences i do not want and it hurts. you definately wont do it again if you know the consequences.
    loventhem22

Answer by loventhem22 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010