How far did you travel to get to your chosen birthing location?

Were you particular with your decision and decided to travel more than an hour to your ideal birthing place?

tavczakbabe

Asked by tavczakbabe at 8:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• one was a hospital in Rochester NY travel time 30 min
    the other a hospital in Dansville, NY travel time 15 min
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I went with the hospital that my OBGYN was out of, which was almost 45minutes away. I didn't change Drs when I moved, but have since changed because of many things I didn't like when and after my son was born.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• with my 1st it was a 10 min drive to hornell ny, my 2nd was a 30 min drive to hornell and now with my 3rd we will just have him in dansville ny which is 6 mins.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• All my kids were born at the same hospital. Travel time was about 5 minutes with my 1st, but then we moved. So travel time was about 15-20 minutes with the rest of the kids.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 8:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• well my clinic was close to a good hospital but the hospital itself was 45 minutes away, this baby both clinic/hospital are 10 minutes away
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 8:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well, I live about 10 minutes from my hospital. I really would love, if I have more children, to have a home birth or at least use a birthing center. But I looked when I was pregnant with my 2nd and the closest birthing center to me is an HOUR away. (and if there are midwives around me I have yet to find them) I had my 1st so fast I just didn't think I would have time to make it to the birthing center for my 2nd...and I would have been right. I was up at 1 am with my 2nd and she was born at 2:45am.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• 1 hr. 45 min. - yes! we went to the big city!...we live in a small rural community.
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 8:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sheena - that's exactly why I'm asking. Ideally I want a homebirth and have found a wonderful midwife who can provide that experience, however my husband and I are house hunting and I'm not sure that we will have a place before the baby arrives. So as a backup I decided to search for a nearby birthing center - which there are none closeby. The closest one is an hour away in another state. It looks beautiful, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time. Even though many women say that the labor process could take a while, I dont want to be traveling during that time and risk giving birth in our car.
    tavczakbabe

Comment by tavczakbabe (original poster) at 8:33 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When my daughter was born, I traveled about 3miles away to the hospital in my town, When my son was born, I had a different Dr. and he was in a town about 15 miles away, so we delivered at the hospital there.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:36 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I drove an hour and a half to the hospital to give birth. Now, I would drive and hour and a half to the birthing center I found. LOL I picked the hospital because it was my only guarantee to have the same doctor for every visit and the birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2010