My daughter wants to get a pet rabbit,do they make good pets?

flowerchid72

Asked by flowerchid72 at 9:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Pets

• Sometimes. We had rabbits in the past. One was perfectly sweet, the other would bite for no reason.

It also depends on how old your daughter is. Rabbits don't really like to be tugged on much so if she's really young then I wouldn't recommend it.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 10:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I used to have a dwarf bunny. He was sweet, but they need lots of attention so they can get used to you.
    tigerlilly_714

Answer by tigerlilly_714 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I used to have rabbits years ago and a lot of it depends on the temperment of the rabbit. Some tend to be more aggressive than others and even the mild tempered ones can really scratch with their back legs if they get startled while you're holding them. They can be good pets though if your daughter is old enough to care for one and can handle one properly.
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 10:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• They can get messy and stinky if you don't keep up with them.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 12:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• no i had them with my kids they bite and our messy and it didn't work out
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I used to keep english spotted rabits and they are known for having the best temperment to keep as pets. They never bit and they were fine with being held. I did keep them in a hutch in the back yard so smell was never a problem and we had a compost pile so we could use thier dropping in our gardening.
    RaeMi

Answer by RaeMi at 12:43 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• rabbits are easy to litter train, like a cat. they are quiet, but they do nibble on things, they shed a lot if you don't brush them every day. Our little bunny foo foo was around for years.
    momrt

Answer by momrt at 12:09 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• No they are not easy. I foster rabbits that need adoptions because so many people think they are cute and don't have the time or energy to take care of them. They need excerise out of their crate daily. They need to run/hop daily. Their cages need daily or every other day cleaning as they poop and pee a lot. They require vaccinations and should be spayed or neutered and they need daily veggies. I feel a cat is far much less work. Rabbits need a lot of care so make a wise choice.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• ok so rabbits are cute and fun but from someone whos family and had friends who also raised and breed bunnies hear are some not so fun charactoristics (sp?)
    they can spray their pee on you YUM!
    they bite
    they need lots of cleaning or they will stink
    if feed too much vegies they will bloat and die
    they arent sociable unless arround you 24-7
    if they are kept inside to run free they will chew on electrical wires
    they can be eaten by other animals (we had just a head left in the back yard for a 6 yr old to find)
    good luck!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I had a dutch, sweet little thing I got him when little. They need alot of care w/ their pens something a small child is going to have troule with. Anyway he was around people all the time he was at an Adult Day Care 2x's a wk. so he was very much used to people. He walked on a leash and loved sitting in the bird bath. What I did was alot of resereach, they have to stay cool they can overheat very fast, couldnt believe all the things about caring for one but I did it and larned alot (and yes they will pee on you in a heartbeat). The bad thing is they are fragil he broke his back just by jumping around in his cage(they call it getting binkey) it broke all our hearts I had him put to sleep and buired in the yard. Maybe a cat would be nice they live a long time and an be a great pet they are fun growing up and can be very loyal another thing they are fine if you would have to be gone for awhile a abbit needs care everyday. They are sweet thou I loved mine. Hope I helped.
    MaMaUrsidae

Answer by MaMaUrsidae at 2:48 AM on Jul. 2, 2008