I want to kill myself

i'm being more than literal. lately i've really had thoughts of killing my self,.. my newborn son has kept me from really harming myself physically but emotionally i am a wreck. I wake up everyday and just want to go back to sleep, the only time i am semi happy is when i am bf or holding my son. i know a man should never make you want to hurt yourself let alone take your whole life but he was my identity. everything i did was for him or with him and i just know how to be by myself let alone with my child. help me please even if its just kind words bc i'm so lost beyond repair

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Health

• You said newborn son? So are you experiencing Post-partum (sp?) depression? Go see a doctor, I think they might have meds for that.
    Anonymous

• Go to the doctor ASAP!! This is def post partum depression!!! Get help pls before it is too late! And dont keep it to your self tell a friend or family too! Dont let this 'man' let you feel like this...you have a beautiful baby to think of..
    Anonymous

• sounds like ppd. Don't ever think that you can't do anything by yourself. You need to be strong for your baby. Did your depression start after breaking up with or losing your man? Don't know your story. Either way go to your doctor and get on some sort of medication. Go to counseling as well. Do you have a good family support system? Talk to your family.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• No one who hasn't gone through it, can imagine how hard it is to be a new mother.

First thing: GET HELP. You need to draw your support system around you... Whomever you have in your life who matters. Get in contact with them immediately. Reach out for all the help they can offer. Sometimes having yourself a hot bath, a brief outing to do something you enjoy on your own, getting some housework done so you feel better about your home; even just talking about your feelings with a loved one can lessen the load on your shoulders. Get your friends and family on the phone, and tell them you need help.
    BobaFetsHelmet

Answer by BobaFetsHelmet at 9:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Since you mentioned harming yourself, I very strongly advise you contact a counselor or doctor IMMEDIATELY. There are medications that can help you through this difficult time. Don't be embarrassed and don't be ashamed, because YOU NEED HELP.

When I had "baby blues", I would go to the bathroom, turn on the shower to cover the noise, close the door and cry my head off until I felt totally drained. That helped me blow off the stress and gave me a chance to deal with my emotions (the worst thing about baby blues is that you never have time to confront your emotions and they just keep building up on you). This always made me feel better.
    Although it seems like these feelings will last forever, THEY DON'T. Some day soon, you will have this mommy thing totally DOWN. It will happen. You can do it, and you will.
    BobaFetsHelmet

• Try speaking honestly with a friend you trust or even write in ajournal to get your feelings out. You don;t need to elave them bottled up inside. I would also suggest speaking with your MD wbout this because there is help available, be it medsication or counseling. Don't wait around or be shy about it, there is no shame in ppd (it is a very serious illness). PLEASE get help!!!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:05 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I don't know what to tell you, cause I feel the same way! I've attempted a few times, and Iet me tell you...that's not a fun thing to survive!! Your baby needs you, you know that...call the crisis line if you need to. Set aside any shame and get help NOW! If you want to chat more, feel free to pm me. My hearts with you!
    msmikkle

Answer by msmikkle at 11:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• God give us women the strengths we need to help ourselves and our children. Please get help at the docs. asap. Your son will thank you for it. Be happy and live for him...he needs you so bad. I will pray for you tonight. You are a beautiful woman with lots to offer. You have many friends here at Cafemom. Reach out to any of us..Talk to us, but please don;t hurt yourself.
    We love you.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Were you depressed before the baby was born, or before getting pregnant? I think ppd is overdiagnosed. Docs tend to ignore that you were depressed before the baby.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 2, 2008