How do I get his mouth to stop bleeding?

My 9 1/2 month old fell on a toy and the gum line around his front teeth won't stop bleeding. He won't let me apply pressure to it. What should I do? Thanks for the help :)

amberdawnbarr

Asked by amberdawnbarr at 8:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wounds to the mouth bleed a lot! It's scary, but they usually heal up very fast too. I would get a washcloth with an ice cube inside it and hold him in your lap and apply whatever pressure you can. My son tore his frenulum that little flap that attaches your top lip way up there, and also bopped his top teeth on the jungle gym and his gum was bleeding above his teeth, but they both stopped very quickly, so if he's not stopping, then I'd take him in to ER, but I think if you are able to apply a little cold pressure it should stop pretty quickly unless he's got a clotting issue or something. Best of luck!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would call the doctor and the dentist, but until then, get a cold wash rag and hold him down and apply pressure, that blood can not be good on his tummy! Depending on how bad the bleeding is, I might even consider taking him to the ER.. but I took my DD at 10 months for a bee sting... so I may over react a bit.
    The things that stop bleeding are cold and pressure, if he won't allow you to put pressure, try to make it cold.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 8:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Oh and in a week or so if his teeth turn gray then you need to get him into the dentist.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2010