How long have you been out of work?

Obama dug up a man that told everyone he had been out of work for 2 yrs and had taken 77 weeks of unemployment but had not been able to find a job. He feels it isn't a handout and the government needs to extend it because it would help "make ends meet". I'm sorry, but I just can't understand how someone can be out of work for 2 yrs. Do they mean 2 yrs without a job they want, without a job that pays close to what they used to make or a job in their field? I just don't see not being able to find a job that pays at least 45% of your previous income (what unemployment pays).
This guy worked in a car dealership in the parts area. There is still a dealership on every other corner and and 2 auto parts shop for every dealership. My son is a manager at Auto Zone (at 21) and they are always hiring. Has the man relocated? If you lose your job you should keep in mind you might need to relocate.
Your thoughts?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 8:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• With the exception of some areas of the country, jobs can be found. I would like to hire at least 1 other person and another delivery driver, but I'm having a hard time of it. I get applications and exuses..not necessarily in that order. I have had people ask me to sign off on them applying without them having to "waste their time" filling out an application. I say no, then I call and report their lazy behinds.

I see a lot of people only looking for work "in their field", with "full benefits", a certain schedule..it's crazy! My Mom worked the night shift so she could have more tme with us. She found a neighbor that stayed with us at night. A lot can be done when someone simply makes up their mind to do it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• my best friend has been unemployed since 2007. She has not filled out one application. Not one. Her husband has been laid off for 18 months, and no applications for him either. They get a little edgy when the extensions come around, and have been on vacation out of the country twice.

They both could have easily gotten jobs where DH works, but she's too good to work at a call center. She thinks that the market for her work (she's a fledgling interior designer) will come back, and that's the only kind of work she should have to do.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You need MONEY to relocate

My hubby and I were both laid off for about a year (end of 1/2009 -1/2010 for me 3/2009-12010 for hubs). We found work, both making less than waht we were. My hubby is almost where he was and will be there in a few months.

We took our time off to take extra classes as well, while we were looking for jobs.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've been laid off since Feb. '09. Until you've been through it, you just won't understand what it's like. There are major companies out there refusing to even look at applications of people who aren't already employed! Yes, there are MANY articles on this situation by the major press. Not just rinky dink papers. The last 3 job fairs in my nearest major city were for "Military" only. WTH? Sit in a room full of 300 people applying for the same ONE job! How about a job that costs you more to get there than what they're paying you? How about the computer company (yes a major one!) that wanted a person to work 6 12 hour shifts a week? As a single mother, who was gonna be raising my kids? Yeah - get out there and do it - then talk to me about it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've never been laid off. I've worked as a nurse since 1980. I agree with sweets moving is expensive. We just relocated for my husband's job. 10K just to get a leased home in LA cty. Thankfully my hu Co pays the actual moving costs.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• lovin,'

I think they should have to prove they are looking to get extensions. Me and hubby wanted to take classes so we signed up for WIA and we had to take extra classes, as well as look for jobs and PROVE it....We were glad to do it.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My nephew was laid off for over a year before he could find a job that paid enough to pay their bills. In the meantime he worked under the table milking cows 12 hrs a day for below min wage (you know, one of those jobs Americans "won't" do). One of my BIL's & SIL's were laid off 2 years ago, neither has been called back, BIL had a side business he has also lost. DH has been out of work for 2 years, and due to back surgery, his options are limited. Another BIL out of work 2 years, one for 9 months, and another SIL for a little over a year. There are no jobs here. For each rare opening there are hundreds more who need it. My younger nieces and nephews all work at McDonald's because they can't find anything better than the job they took in high school 3-5 years ago. One manages, he gets upwards of 1000 apps a week. I know people willing to commute hours, nothing in tri-state area (IN/MI/OH)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've been out of work for about a year...but it's by choice, lol. Why not give the job to someone who wants it? I'm comfy at home. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It seems hard to believe that a guy would be unemployed for two years. He must be really hard to please. If you want to work,there is something outthere.
    I was laid off...our entire department was laid off. But they gave us a few weeks to find another job and actually helped us find a job. I had some interviews, then got a job. (Not one I wouldhave ordinarily wanted and I accepted a pay cut but it was still in my line of work, , Accounts Payable) I was working again the next Monday.
    But that is unusal. They will just say "This is your last day,clean out your desk" as a general rule and you are SOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The State of TX requires you to keep a list of places you have applied to in order to continue your benefits. So, yes, you have to prove you are looking.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010