Breastfeeding Question-I gave birth vaginally 12 wks ago and am breastfeeding. I started bleeding last night. Is this normal? I did not get my period with my first until I stopped breastfeeding.

wendyharris

Asked by wendyharris at 8:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got my period like a month after I gave birth and I was breast-feeding. And I am very irregular.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 9:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Obviously, talk to your OB/Midwife/Dr about this. It's normal to get your period at just about any time whether you are nursing or not. I didn't get mine until six to eight months after I had my children when I was breastfeeding, but that was just me. If there is a lot of blood, soaking through a pad in an hour, then you need to go to the ER, could be internal bleeding.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 9:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I got my period back at around 6 weeks with all four of mine, even though I ebf on demand. (I had all c-sections though.) But it is normal to get your period when breastfeeding. Mine was regular and I was able to continue to bf for 2+ years.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If it is extensive bleeding or lasts longer then a normal period, I would call your doctor. I did have a period start 6 weeks after giving birth. That's not fun, but it happens!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You period can return at any time...even when breastfeeding exclusively. MOST likely you're fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010