What is Faith?

My mom was religiously confused, attending many churches with different religious beliefs dragging us along. All I found in the churches is rejection and judgemental people.I have no faith. I just don't. What is faith anyway but believing something that you can't prove? Churches talk about following Jesus but I really don't see this. Only judgemental people who think they know it all. No wonder us on the sidelines lose our belief and question the whole dam thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Faith is merely the belief in things which cannot be seen or proven. It encompasses more than just religion and is not restricted to religion. You can have faith in the fidelity of your husband when you are seperated by distance, faith in friends being there to support you when you hit a rough patch, faith in your doctor's abilities to cure what ails you, etc. Now in regards to religion you merely need to think of what you believe and what you have faith in and say to hell with what others will think. As long as it encourages you to become a better person and do kindness unto others it shouldn't matter if you believe in Jesus, Zeus, or a magical peanut that guides your life.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Having faith has absolutely nothing to do with religion and everything to do with God (whatever your concept of God is). I don't claim one religion because not one felt right to me; however, I'm extremely spiritual and have unshakeable faith in my idea of the Divine. Faith is knowing, without a shadow of a doubt, that there is a higher power, call it God if you wish. Religion isn't as important as having faith. God gave us many paths to reach him, find yours and walk it confidently. Church isn't for everyone, it's definitely not for me, but you can find God everything, in everything you do. Quiet your mind, open your heart, and feel your faith come forward.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 9:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Assured expectation, hope without seeing.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Faith has NOTHING to do with religion. You DO have faith, you just don't have faith in religion... I would bet though that you have faith is yourself, your SO and your kids... Faith is a belief is something that can't be proven scientifically. In most cases that proof has to be something WE find... Every religious person or everyone with faith has some kind of personal proof which they have found through a combination of education and experience. Without that, personal proof, it's impossible to have faith in something. But what we have faith in is different from person to person... I have faith in Nature, myself and my Gods... Christians have faith in Jesus and God... Atheists have faith in science and themselves... Point is, you may need to focus to find where your faith lays, but you have it... We all do! And don't worry about having the same faith as your friends or family - all that matters is you!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I ran into the same problem as you did, but there was a point in my life, that I sought God all on my own, without RELIGION aspect of it. I hate religion, but I found God. In all honesty I feel God hates religion, as well. I feel religion distorts the view of and hinders God. I don't go to church very often, because of the over religious and judgemental people.  I would like to go to church, but haven't found one that I feel is balanced.  I don't know if that makes any sense.  Any way my faith is NOT based on what others believe, it is strictly based on what I believe and what I have searched out on my own.  I like to question things until I find what makes sense to me.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 1:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• to me, you're putting your faith in man, rather than God. you're equating having Faith in God with having faith in the body/man/a church. you can't do that, unless you want to be constantly disappointed. man will fail you; God will not. one is assuarance in what you CAN see. the other is assuance in what you CAN'T see. faith can not be physically proven-its a heart-felt/known existence within yourself. the only time you can see FAITH IN ACTION, is by examining the fruit/life/handiwork/'works' of the faithful..is it there, or is it not?

of course, that's JMO.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Faith is like that game you used to play at camp. You know the one where one person falls backwards and the others catch you. Faith is taking a leap into something you know in you heart is there but you have to let go and allow your body to follow.

God is like the wind. You can't see the wind but you can see and feel it's effects. I have Faith that the wind exist even though I can't see it. I have faith God exist even though I can't see him. I CAN see and feel his effects.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Just because you can't PROVE something that doesn't exist, that doesn't mean you cannot have a personal conviction that it does. Now, there's a common confusion that the OT demands "blind faith", that's it's a desirable trait to simply "believe". It's not, if anything, what the 10 commandment tach us is that you have to KNOW that there is a G-d. And knowledge involves a little bit more than belief. Where do we get that idea? From the phrasing of the 1st commandment. "I am the Hashem, your God, Who has taken you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery". Interesting way of putting it. Why didn't G-d say "I am Hashem, your God, who created all"?

Continued...

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Creating everything is certainly a little bit more amazing than taking us out of Egypt, so why the focus on that event to give the commandment of beliving in Him? Because the people who received this commandment were witnesses to those events, as opposed to the creation of the universe. They KNEW these events took place and they all heard G-d's voice talking to them. They didn't need "faith", they had knowlege. And this is what our first commandment is: to have knowledge, nto blind faith.

So can you KNOW something exists without actually having the proof? Sure you can. I know gravity exists. I've never seen it, I dont't know what it is, but whenever I drop something and it goes down, I know gravity's at work. I see the effects of such a force, therefore I know it exists. It's the same with G-d. Another example, criminal investigators can know someone was at a scence because of what they leave behind- clues, fingertips, etc-
    momto2boys973

• According to the Bible in Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." That's the King James Version.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 6:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2010