How do you feel about women breastfeeding in public?

This is a big deal here on our news this morning. Are they talking about it where you live too? I guess a woman was breastfeeding her baby in a restaraunt and the manager came up to her and told her either she had to breastfeed in the bathroom or go outside. What the hell? First, there is NO place set up in a rest room in a restaraunt to breastfeed,not to mention UNSANITARY.Outside?What do people think we are? Dogs?
ANd it IS legal to breastfeed in public!The law doesnt even require a mom to cover up..most women do..but hey, we don't HAVE to.
The news station here is on my facebook and they posted a question similiar to the one I asked and I am suprised at how many people really believe that a mother should just stay home to breast feed. REALLY? WHY? What is so bad about a baby EATING? I guess I just don't get it.
What are your thoughts on this? Should they just BAN breastfeeding in public if you think yes, why?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 9:33 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• why not pump and bottle feed when you go out in public out of respect?
    ----
    Because, believe it or not, there are women out there who DO NOT respond well to a pump. I could have fed a small army of babies from the tap, but couldn't pump 3ozs out of BOTH breasts to save my life. Also, not every BF baby will take a bottle. It's exactly this kind of ignorance that creates situations like the mommy in this story experienced.

Respect is a two way street. Respect my child's right to eat anytime, anywhere, and i'll continue to respect those around me by nursing discreetly.

And about nursing in Church - Jesus was breastfed...and I doubt Mary had a cute little Hooter Hider to help her cover up.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think that's ridiculous. A women should be able to breastfeed in public. It's not our fault that breasts have become so sexualized in our culture to the point where breastfeeding has become "uncomfortable" for some people to see in public. I think people who find it offensive are perverted and disturbing. A women shouldn't have to cover up either or stay at home to feed.... we would never leave the house for the first 4 months because ALL a breastfed baby does is EAT! I don't understand the debate, people need to get over breastfeeding publicly .... no wonder only 6% of mother's in the US are still breastfeeding at 12 months.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I love seeing breastfeeding women in public because I know how hard it is and I know they will always stand up for what's right for their children. As far as covering up, to each their own. I understand women who don't breastfeed not wanting their children to see exposed breasts; however, that is what a breast is for, to nourish our babies and the more it is seen the more it will be accepted. I tend to cover up when I'm around a bunch of children, out of respect for parent's possible wishes; however, if I'm in a restaraunt where someone has to actually attempt to look at me to see what I"m doing, then I just nurse normally without covering up, if they don't want to see it, don't look at my table! A lot of babies won't let their mothers cover them up either and it becomes a battle with the cover instead of a peaceful nursing moment.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 9:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• its perfectly natural, healthy, and legal. I would have refused to leave and threatened to call every news station in the area if the manager didnt leave me alone What a jerk! Every breastfeeding woman in the area should go to that restaurant and feed thier babies all at once.
    CALL HIS MOMMY! That manager needs taken down a peg or two.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I do not feel that Breastfeeding should be banned. I mean when your babies hungry they are hungry and need to eat no matter where you are. I do feel that some moms that dont cover up should.
    kgmmw

Answer by kgmmw at 9:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The purpose of breasts (on women lol) is to FEED a baby. If someone doesn't like it then they can get over themselves. A woman can legally breastfeed in any place that she can legally be present - whether it be a restaurant, an airport, a church, a park, the mall, etc. No one should be forced to nurse in a bathroom, why would you want to smell people's crap and listening to people pee while you feed your kid? I was careful to not show too much boob in public but legally you don't even have to do that. I wouldn't have a problem if I saw it.
    mommymela87

Answer by mommymela87 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't think they should ban it but mom's should be respectful of others as other should be respectful of them and cover up.
    DessC

Answer by DessC at 9:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I feel the same about it as I do about a baby eating formula from a bottle. I think that a little baby is getting a snack, nothing else. :-)
    It should not be banned, that's ridiculous!
    I think boob's first use is to provide food for babies. It's just an added bonus that there is a sexual use for them. A lot of people can't over look the sexual and realize that they are first and foremost a food for children.
    They need to get over themselves and their assumptions!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• How do I feel? I guess the same way I feel when I see a baby taking a bottle, "Oh look a baby is getting fed." :)
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• a woman*
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2010