Itchin' to quit and stay home

Really want to become a SAHM, how did you take the plunge?? Did you suffer financially for it, or was it time??

ShelbysHope

Asked by ShelbysHope at 9:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• When I was pregnant I worked part-time and went to school full-time. One day my hubby told me I should quit my job. I was 6 months pregnant and quit and never went back. We don't really suffer financially, but my hubby works about 80 hours a week to make up for the money I don't make. So we suffer because my DD and I never see him :(
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My DD was 6 months old (first child) and I decided that I would no longer work when I stopped being able to pump enough for her. Previously I had woken up 2 times a night with her and 2 more times on top of that to pump.. but after 5 months of doing it, I was stressed to max and about to divorce my hubby cuz I was so stressed and he wasn't helping! (not that he could). We did kinda suffer financially, it put us back on saving for a house, but my DD is now 15 months, and I'm ready to go back to work, so it won't be a total loss.
    How old are your kids? How much do you make after care anyway?
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 9:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have no advice on this but I wish I could quit and stay home too!
    DessC

Answer by DessC at 9:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We sat down and talked about it first. I also work at home so that helps us out as well. We clip coupons and do other things to save money. For me it was way worth it to be here with our girls and not miss out on things. So I think it is different for everyone but this was def right for our family :-)

Good Luck!!
    ChristinaAtHome

Answer by ChristinaAtHome at 9:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I actually lost my job, while DH was only working part-time. We ended up moving in with in-laws for a few months and we discovered that it was possible once DH started working full-time. (He was finishing up school while I worked full-time) We saved money on so many things that the bills evened out, once I got used to staying home. See if you can take leave for a little while to conduct an experiment. Sit down and do a budget, figure out how much you are spending because of your job (for example: daycare, work clothes, gas, dinner out, etc.). It can be done if you sit down and budget, sometimes you have to give up some of the extras, but it can be so rewarding.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I left my job in February to be a SAHM to our third child, the first of my kids who I actually get to raise. The financial hit was scary, but it turns out that we're better off with money since I stay home - no day care costs, gasoline/lunch costs, etc. Also, because now I'm not in the office from 7 am to 730 pm I can pay more attention to our budget to keep us in line.
    We did have more money when I worked, but it was all being dribbled away on unnecessary stuff (take out dinners four nights a week, buying crap we didn't need just because we had cash lying around). Now I can devote more of my time to a more frugal lifestyle and not carry home stress every night.
    Write yourself a budget using your dh's income only - overestimate your expenses (like utilities), underestimate his income (if he gets overtime, don't calculate it into the budget) and see where you stand. Good luck!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• 7yr and 3 1/2yrs....we pay $550 month for child care, that's almost one of my paychecks.
    ShelbysHope

Comment by ShelbysHope (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• That's a good idea, I'll do that and see what it looks like on paper. I think it's managable and hubby does too, but he wants my car sold and out from under that payment. So it's either wait for the lease to end, which is in Dec 2011, or sell it now and pay the difference. Hmmmm.......I know that eating out for lunch alone would save a bundle
    ShelbysHope

Comment by ShelbysHope (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I worked Full-Time before my son was born and worked up til he was about 10 months old. My baby-sitter was my mother in law and it just to be too much for her so we didn't want to put him in child care, and we had to cut back on a lot of things, and thankfully had money in savings to make things a bit easier financially. It was hard at first to change out lifestyle w/ eating out and buying all the extras, but it was worth it.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 10:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• While I was pregnant with my second child my husband and I discussed me staying home. He makes a good salary and mine was ok. So for the entire time I was pregnant we made a budget and lived off of his salary alone and put all of my checks into a savings account. By the time I gave birth we knew we could live just fine on his salary and I had saved $10k. If we couldn't make it on his salary, there's no way I would have stopped working.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2010