Is it ok that Obama won't pay for employment benefits extension?

While he is out there trying to make Republicans look like mean heartless people he is unwilling to pay for it, continuing to saddle Americans for generations with debt they may never recover from. All Republicans want is to pay for it. There is 1/2 of the TARP fund left and he refuses to use it. He refuses to cut anything in the government and seems to think this is ok.
I don't, what about you?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To answer the question... No it's not ok... I thought this was the summer of recovery or some BS like that? If we are recovering so greatly, why is he wanting to extend benefits? What does that say about the "recovery"?

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I believe an ue extension should be limited to those in the worst states, and it should in fact be paid for out of tarp.

both sides are wrong, and the people are suffering.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:46 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The leftover stimulous could be used to pay for the benefits but that would require cutting pork. Obama parading unemployed citizens for the media is disgusting. These are people, not props.

My suggestion to everyone is SAVE SAVE SAVE. WHen the tax cuts expire and the new taxes from Obamacare kick in, everyone's take home pay will dramatically decrease.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If the recession is over then we don't need an extension.
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 9:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Unemployment isn't meant to be a long term program, it's merely a bridge to assist during a difficult time. It's short term help that never should have been extended at all.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Republicans want to extend the Bush tax cuts and NOT pay for them..and they haven't bene made up for in the last 9 years.

Memo:

Tax money is money that BELONGS TO SOMEONE ELSE.
    They earned it.
    It is extortion to keep taking.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'm sorry, can some please explain the logic of how saying that Bush didn't pay for things (by not taxing the all hated "rich" people enough) makes the fact that Obama isn't going to pay for things affordable?  Is there a point in time when actually paying for things becomes good fiscal sense?

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 10:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Aliceinalgonac .. "It's merely a bridge to assist during a difficult time" .. Yes, and we are continuing into an even more difficult time as jobs continue to fail and lose employees due to lack of profit. As jobs are continuing to dissapear and more people are falling into unemployment to support their families. We are not out of the difficult times and won't be for many years. We are still in a recession, so there is still a great need for unmployment benefits. 14 million people are unemployed. 14 million people who cannot find work. 14 million people who need to pay for their children's schools, clothes, food, homes, and wouldn't be able to without unemployment. 14 million people who depend on that extension to live. 14 million people including my dad who has been out of work for nearly two years. Who has been searching up and down for employment and can't find anything. 14 million people depending on that money.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

Memo:

They earned it.
    It is extortion to keep taking.

Paying TAXES is extortion now??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Not extending those Bush cuts will hurt everyone on top of being unemployed. The myth Dems use that those cuts were ony for the rich is just that, A MYTH, Sounds like you don't want to help the people, just get revenge on Bush.
    Comment by itsmesteph11 (
    *********************************************
    I want to help people....I always have....I am a Liberal. Liberals want to help....we are called "Bleeding hearts". I don't want to get revenge on Bush.
    Have a nice day. ;-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 20, 2010