Your baby can read set?

Has anyone tried your baby can read? If so and you do not need the set anymore would you be willing to get rid of it?

sierranavada

Asked by sierranavada at 10:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a scam really. Your baby will not come away actually "reading" they will only come away having memorized those few sight words and never really developed the skills of reading. Reading to your baby and talking to them and pointing out things and giving those things a name and even labeling things will do far greater things for your child than sitting them in front of a TV and then shoving flashcards in their face.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have it for my son, he has been watching it since he was 6 months old, he is 16 months now. He likes it, he dances to the songs they sing, laughs at the puppets, etc. I definitely do not "shove" anything in his face. But I do feel it helps him some, when they say words he will try to repeat them. He also will point to all body parts when shown the words. Whether it will teach him to read or not, we will see. But I don't see any harm in it. I think it is better than letting him watch cartoons with no educational value.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Kids need human interaction and not a TV. However, by 16 months, my child was speaking almost in paragraphs in full conversations. He never watched "educational TV". He did watch some cartoons and had interaction with me. I also talked and read at age three with no educational TV or flashcards. Simply being read to. I also watched said cartoons.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If you want to do this I would just get flashcards with words and pictures. You will save yourself alot of money. I personally dont think it helps or hinders the child. I use flashcards with my dd so she can learn words and also the alphabet. She is 2.5 and she can count to 10 and she knows most of the alphabet. We read together, we play together and point things out to her and ask what they are all the time. I want her to be smart and exceed in life, but right now I am happy just letting her be a little girl and enjoy her childhood. Personally I think people are trying to make their kids grow up too fast and teaching a baby to read so early is good and all, but then what? Writing, using a computer....I take my dd outside to learn not put her infront of a tv to look at pictures on a screen. That is just how I am raising my child. Every one is different and we all have different parenting ideals.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Like other moms, I'm not totally for the program. It doesn't teach phonics, which is core to developing good reading skills. I agree that you are just as well off reading to your kids and talking about what letters words start with, etc. I read before kindergarten with no TV and it was just a result of my mom reading to me and teaching me the alphabet and letter sounds. That said, there's no proof that kids who read early do any better in school or life later on. Might as well let them develop at their own pace.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's a scam don't waste on your money on it.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010