help stop a almost 2 yr old thumb sucker

my daughter has sucked her thumb since she was about 3-4 wks old. she basically only does it when she gets tired and i ready to go to sleep and while she is going to sleep. i wanna try to get her to stop but i dont know how. any suggestions is appreciated. thanks

FallonBlackmon

Asked by FallonBlackmon at 10:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its hard because some people say put lemon or hot sauce on it and they will stop. Well, unless your little one likes hot sauce its just cruel and if your baby rubs her eyes with lemon on them that can be painful. Since she is not even 2 yet she may just grow out of it. Its soothing to her and 2 YOs are still very babyish to me. She is hitting the in between stage of baby and big girl. Maybe start telling her why you dont want her to anymore but don't expect her to understand right away or to drop it right away. I know for me, the more I am told the same thing over and over I start to understand the full value of it. She will get it:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The only thing that worked for us is putting a bandaid on it. Also a gauze bandage works too. Then she won't like the taste of the nasty bandaid. I agree hot sauce or lemon is not good cuz it can hurt if they rub their eyes etc. Give it some time but the bandaid worked great for us.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• There are some ideas to help at wed.md.com

I personally don't think it's a problem this young , but some of the ideas at webmd look like they might be helpful. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'm just curious why you want her to stop - isn't it a self soothing technique?? My son has also been sucking his thumb since he was about 1 month old and I look at it as a blessing since I don't have to carry a pacifier around with me.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• well i had a pacifier sucker with my 1st and it was easy to break the habit. i just dont want her to be sucking her thumb in kindergarten, i know thats a while but why not start now. i figure if shes potty trained i need to be trying to work on the thumb. i have a cousin that ridiculously sucked a paci until he was like 8 and i went to school with a girl that sucked her thumb, in the 8th grade, thats just uncalled for. i feel like the sooner i start the easier it will be. i can tell her to take it out of her mouth and she will but she will look all confused so i let her do it again, i figure telling her a couple times a day will slowly help. thanks for all the suggestions
    FallonBlackmon

Comment by FallonBlackmon (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010