Cat poop

We have a cat that is going on 10 years old. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. She is also an indoor cat. Seriously, she has never been outside other than when we moved anyplace. She is healthy and we keep her updated on all her shots.

My child decided that it was a good idea to try some of her poop and see if he liked it (he also did this with his OWN poop a few weeks ago). My question is, should I be worried?

From what I could tell when I walked in and tried to get it out of his mouth (HUGE mistake, that just made him swallow it faster), it didn't seem like a lot. He just stuck his finger in a litter box tootsie roll and licked off whatever was on his finger. Gross! No matter the amount I'm still freaking out.

crazedaffe

Asked by crazedaffe at 10:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did that about a month ago. UGH. Just remembering it is hurting my stomach. I had the same question..will she be alright. She was fine. Call the doctor and see what you should do or what you should look for. I just waited it out to see if she developed fever or if she came down with vomiting or diarheah. She never did. But that is by far the grossest thing I have ever seen in my life. I think it affected me more than her and shes the one that ate it, lol. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would call his doctor just for good measure I know cat poop can be toxic to humans.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Omg, that's horrible, lol. The things kids will do! Anyways, I'd definitely call his doctor to see what they think.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't be to worried... it's just really gross!!! i would just make sure he doesn't make a habit of this and if he does just move it to a place when he can't get it. But one time, no big deal i'm sure kids have eaten worse lol
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• So did he like it? EWWWWww....... Lol Babies get into everything! I would call the doc on that one
    buggin4baby

Answer by buggin4baby at 10:58 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I love coming on here and being able to ask these kinds of questions and know that you all aren't judging me! I would ask my MIL, but she wouldn't answer me and then she would make me feel like crap (no pun intended) about not keeping an eye on my child 100% of the time.
    crazedaffe

Comment by crazedaffe (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Ewww!
    I'm sorry!
    He should be fine, it's not like he chomped down on a big one or anything. And since the cat's never been outside, you don't have to worry about the other thing (can't remember what it's called, it's the same reason not to change a litter box while pregnant, but it's only bad in cats that go out).
    If you're really worried, call his doctor and talk to them.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Doc said not to worry. Just push fluids and keep a close eye on him.

No, he didn't seem to like it at all. lol
    crazedaffe

Comment by crazedaffe (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Keep the litterbox put up away from your son. I put a baby gate up, and the cats can jump over it but babies can't get past it
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My son did this a long time ago and I called the dr about it and he said not to worry about it. He turned out to be just fine! He is 19 now!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010