Making Own Laundry Soap

I recently found out a good friend of mine makes her own laundry detergent. I am very intrigued, especially after she told me how cheap it is!! I just wanted to get opinions on anyone else that does this, what recipe has worked best for you?? I'd love to try it, but a little nervous too! I love the clean, good smelling detergents from the store too...

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I love my homemade soap!

per batch, yes it is cheaper, but just so you know, to get the supplies to start with, it can be about $25-$30 but that makes LOTS of batches.

I use 1 bar ivory soap finely grated, 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda. Mix well. Dissolve that in 2.5 gallons of HOT water and put in a container (I use a large kitty litter jug) and shake or stir before each use. 1/2 cup per load. Safe for HE washers too.

You can also use the same recipe for powder detergent, just leave out the water, 1 tbsp per load.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I just recently got a recipe for it that I want to try. I used a recipe in the past that ended up not working out so well, was fine for a while, but made my clothes super gray and dingy after a few months, so we stopped, but I'm anxious to try this new recipe I got from a friend. I love how cheap it is.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• we do here! a house of 6 people we were buying laundry soap every other week! so i looked up online how to make it and we have been for 4 months now and it works great and is super cheap! i can send u the recipe if u want!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have a recipe as well I plan on making it next week. I heard it works great and soooo very cheap !! like 3 cents a load VS 45 cents a load for store bought
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I haven't mae my own (yet) but I do know that based on several reviews... it isn't really the soap that gets them clean- it's the agitation! So as long as the smell is appealing to you (which it seems that you could definatly find one on-line that would do that) then it will work great!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I am trying to get my husband to agree to making our own. I have seen a few different ones out there to try. You can buy stuff that smells to add to your laundry soap.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 7:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2010