How much tv does your toddler watch?

My DD is almost 17 months old, and she really loves Barney and Guess with Jess
I try to keep it to an hour a day but sometimes she just follows me around saying "toons? toons?" and I just give in :(
My friend has a 2 year old who is glued to the tv. You can't even talk to him when he's watching tv, and he can't eat or goto sleep without the tv. (she's called the tv her babysitter since he was 6 months though, so it's not surprising)
Do you have any tips on how to avoid getting a toddler couch potato?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 11:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tried to take my children out as often as possible. It helped to give them an appetite and got rid of the extta energy they had which was a constant otherwise.It ws good for both my kids and myself. There was still lots of time for them to watch tv if they weren't playing with their toys.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Mine watched a ton, but, also played and had other activities too. Mine is not a couch potato type, so, I felt comfortable having the TV on all day and night...He didn't zone out with it. He played away from it and would come back. He had enough attention span to sit and watch a whole movie though. But, wasn't like your friends kid. She needs to back him away from it...yours doesn't sound bad at all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• eh probably more than he should.
    Audreysmommy123

Answer by Audreysmommy123 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My son is 16 months old. He just recently got a bedroom TV(a gift from my SIL, I didn't ask for it, she just showed up with it one day so I set it up)Anyway I play Your baby can read, Barney and a set of potty training DVDs in there for him. He honestly will not sit down and watch a whole movie, he will just look at it for a few minutes here and there when he is playing. I let him watch TV in the living room from time to time, but it is still just a few minutes here and there. If it becomes a problem though, just turn it off. It may come to tantrums but toddlers wont let themselves stay bored long. After they get the point that you wont turn it back on they will find some other way to entertain themselves.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I keep cartoons on during the day for background noise. He'll zone out and watch it at times but is more distracted by other things unless a fun song or something like that pops on. I wouldn't know how to handle a couch potato because my son is always go go go! The temperatures where we are are in the high nineties and the heat index is a lot worse than that so I know outside can be hard right now. My son doesn't have a TV in his room either and I think that really helps.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My daughter has almost no interest in TV with the exception of Elmo. So on the weekends I let her watch Sesame Street on Sprout. At this age, nothing holds their attention for too long.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Our son loves Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy every night... Otherwise TV is just on in the background while we're playing :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'd say you can let her watch more than an hour a day sometimes without it being her babysitter. Definitely don't start letting her watch it to go to sleep cuz that's a habit that will be impossibile to break. But letting her watch a little tv doesn't hurt anything. My son won't really watch tv and sometimes i wish he'd at least sit still for 15 minutes cuz he is always into everything, following me around, climbing on me, and it's really annoying
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• um yeah, im kind of guilty when it comes to this. Sometimes my kids just get so crabby, they've had food, something to drink, they've played outside etc.. sometimes they just need that extra something and tv or a small movie works.. i'd say 3-4 hours.. depending on the movie..
    Audreysmommy123

Answer by Audreysmommy123 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2010