I am a first time Mom here. My nine month old is still spitting up. How long does this usually last? I don't even mind the crying and the poop as much as this.

MomaV

Asked by MomaV at 11:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had one who spit up for about a year (I think). Unless it is massive amounts of spit up I wouldn't be too concerned. Are you burping halfway through the feeding? That could help with the spitting up. I had one child who took FOREVER to burp. Some days I didn't have the time to wait for him to burp. LOL! I just put a bib on him and let the spit up come.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Mine never spit up, so, you may want to discuss that with the doctor...maybe meds or new drink may help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If your baby is spitting up breastmilk it may be getting too much low fat milk. Try nursing only one breast a feeding and let the baby nurse as long as the baby wants on that one breast to get all the high fat milk. If the baby wants the other breast after nursing 20 min or so on the first then switch but try to use just one. Next feeding use the other breast. It's called "finish the first breast first." Babies that get too much low fat milk can also be overweight.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Mine spit up until they could move around and crawl.
    Anonymous

• My DS spit up a lot until he was about a year old. Some babies are just big spitters. As long as they are happy and growing it is not a problem. They do outgrow it eventually!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Thanks for the advice. I've been giving her a bottle of formula only for the last three months . She also drinks water from a sippy cup with her solid food. Loves to eat everything. I don't burp her much any more after a bottle because she usually falls asleep if it is nap time or bed time. The spitting up isn't that much and it isn't everyday but it still happens every now and then. Guessing it must be trapped air. I'll try burping more to see if it helps.
    MomaV

Comment by MomaV (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2010