Unemployment benefits in Indiana?

Is anyone familiar with the unemployment system in Indiana? I recently found out I might have cancer, and I was just wondering if I would qualift for unemployment benefits or social security disability, because I know I will be out of work for a while.

I've read some states require you be ready to work, and just be between jobs; is Indiana one of them? Also, the place I work has less than 50 people, and since I am part time, I don't think I'd qualify for paid medical leave. If it helps, I make 10.50 an hour, and worked 25-30 hours a week on average last year.

My husband was laid off, so it is just my income. We have a daughter too, and I worry that this will impact our family in a VERY financially negative way.

Any advice would be appreciated- thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• you would only qualify for unemployment if you were laid off. If you resign you will only qualify if your employer doesn't fight your claim, and if there are under 50 employees your employer is not bound by FMLA (which only guarantees that you will return to a job of equal pay and status, it does not mean paid medical leave, it is almost always unpaid)
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Before you do anything i have a comfirmed finding of your condition.. If confirmed you should apply for disability..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010