Were you able to prevent diaper rash while your baby was in diapers?

My son is 17 months old and has his first diaper rash. :( It doesn't seem to bother him at all but it looks bad. I am trying to figure out what I did wrong this time. He has diarhea real bad that there is no substance to his poop at all its just like stinky colored water. His tummy doesn't seem to be bothering him either. I figure he is probably teething..
Can the runs be causing his rash and preventing it from getting better? I change him right after he goes so he is not sitting in it. What is it I am doing wrong? I am putting A&D on it... Is there a better cream to put on it? I let his butt dry before applying A&D and putting on the diaper...

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 11:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine didnt have one unless they had a poopy problem and the cream took care of it
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• NAKED TIME!!!
    Of course runny poop will give him a rash. It's much more acidic. I mean, you can't tell me your butthole doesn't get a little raw if you've got the runs.

You can mix Maalox and Vaseline in equal parts. The Maalox will protect against the acid. There's also some stuff called Salmon Salve or something close to that that is pretty awesome.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• mine had no rashes until juice
    apple ok
    but water down orange juice gave her rash every time
    also any other citruis juice would do it too

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• and yess the runs will do it
    very acid like
    and this weather can case it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My DD rarely had rashes, but changing him frequently and using aquaphor on the rash should help. Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, my daughter went through similar starting at the same age and still suffers from it. It has to do with the changing acidity in their pee or poop. With the diarrhea, it could be from teething or even something he ate or drank. Just change him frequently and try to find a cream that works for him to heal it up before it gets worse and does bother him.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My DD got a diaper rash from teething when she was about 9 months old. There was nothing I could do, the diareah was causing it. I browned corn starch and put it on there, and it made it hurt a lot less for her.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 11:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My daughter is 14 months and hasn't had a diaper rash. She would get a little red sometimes, but then I would put Desitin on it. And by the time her diaper needed to be changed, the redness was gone.
    Yes, the diarhea can prevent it from getting better.
    Try using Desitin instead of the A&D.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• He doesnt drink juice much...
    And only gets no sugar added apple juice when he does...
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• thumbs up for NAKED TIME!!!
    must be the weather then that is causing the runs
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2010