I want to learn how to sew.. need suggestions

I really would like to take up this hobby so I can learn to make cute outfits for the kiddos, but I am a total dummy. Can someone suggest a good sewing machine that is good for beginners? I don't want it to have a lot of confusing features, just something to learn on and maybe I can upgrade later on once I get better =) Thanks in advance

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would start with a used sewing machine. Look for a name brand like brother, singer, Janome, pfaff, etc. Do not get a small craft machine to learn on you will have more problems. Get a full size machine...... years ago when I learned to sew we had to sew on paper just to learn how to follow the lines, so you could try that. I would start with a simple project like making pillows, place mats, pot holders and then graduate to more complicated sewing. Sewing is not hard, just takes a little practice, and the ability to read and understand the directions on the patterns. Take a sewing class, learn from a neighbor or friend who sews or a family member. Have fun with your new sewing adventure......
    nanbon44

Answer by nanbon44 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Lots of good books out there too. I like the ones by Singer. They have great pictures which I always find very helpful. you might be able to find these at a discount on ebay Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'm sending you a copy of the hand out I give my sewing students when they ask what machine they should buy. I hope it helps you!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• Try getting a Brother...The cheapest one at Walmart.. Not many features, simple, and functions well. I had one and i liked it. And just keep practicing.. Make pillows, small 'doll' quilts, and things like that. And remember.. It comes with a seam ripper.. LOL. you can always start over. And it DOES take practice. Im better now then when I was in highschool. Good luck and have fun! :O)
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 11:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• you can take lessons at joann's too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have a sears Kenmore sewing machine that I've had forever and love. And I agree with PP that you should try a sewing class at JoAnns if you have one near you. That will teach you the basics.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Try craigslist for a machine or even freecyle. For lesson's see if a neighbor or classes are available (stores and rec centers will offer beginning lessons) or just wing it ;)
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Second the Brother. They did a Project Runway edition one that has enough features to be more than bare basics but it's not through the roof expensive or overloaded. If you can't get to classes nearby, go to you tube. There are videos that teach everything on there these days.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Singer is probably the best for the money. I've seen them at Wal-Mart. I purchased mine from a sewing shop, but it's a great, sturdy brand and you can choose your level with each different machine.

If you're looking to make cute outfits, I think a pillow case dress is probably a good starter project and is SUPER easy. You can use basically any color combination and embellish and alter as you like. I've seen great YouTube tutorials. Here's one of my fav bloggers: http://www.rufflesandstuff.com/2009/08/tutorials.html Lots of pretty DIY clothes!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• As for easy stuff to begin making- curtains have been easy (cafe curtains) for me. Clothing is hard for me! But i am new too.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2010