10 month old hit her head hard!

My 10 month old just started walking so her balance isnt the best, needless to say she fell and hit her head hard on a corner of the wall. She got a huge egg on her head right away. I gave her tylenol to help with headache etc. she wont let me put anything on it, ice etc. it didnt break it open so its just a big bump and bruise. I know to watch for a cooncussion but what else should I do? she is miserable!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 11:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter did this and it scared me to death!
    I called her doctor and they told me to watch for concussion symptoms, but not to really worry. They said since the goose egg was out and not in, meaning there wasn't a dent in her head, she'd be fine.
    Just hold her and comfort her.
    Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Ouch! Poor baby! You've already done everything you can do, now just give lots of cuddles and try to cheer her up. If you are breast feeding, try nursing her. That always calms my son down when he takes a big spill.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 11:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If it was that hard of a hit, I wouldn't hesitate and head to the doctor.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• she is also rubbing eyes and acting like she is tired but she just woke up from a nap at 10. should I be concerned? Is this a sign of a concussion?
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Stuff like this is why I wish they had these for my son when he started walking. He fell over and hit his head hard more than once. Always scary. And people call these stupid. Psh.

http://www.thudguard.com/

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• oh and I cant just go to the doctors, my df is at work and I have no way to get there
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sleepiness can be a sign of a concussion. However, a bad head bonk is traumatic and trauma can also make kids sleepy just as a defense mechanism. Also, tylenol can make them sleepy. If she wants to sleep I'd let her sleep and just make sure she can be roused every so often. She doesn't have to come fully awake just wake up enough to move or make a sound. With 3 little ones, we have had our share of bad head bonks. If she has a goose egg and not a dent, she is likely fine. Also, was this the front of her head? Back of the head hits are more dangerous than front, side, or top because of the proximity to the spinal cord.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 11:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• are her pupils the same size? has she thrown up? it can be exhausting crying and being in pain. if you are still concerned of a concussion then hold her in your lap a while. maybe she will watch a movie?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• She's gotten over the sleepiness. I think it was just her being upset. She is up walking around and playing like she usually does so I'm not as worried but I am still going to keep a close eye on her.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• For future reference, medication really isn't the way to go with head injuries. Tylenol/Motrin can mask symptoms of concussion and/or bleeding in the brain. I know you just want to make her feel better but it is better to avoid medication for the first 24 hours. Bumps aren't a big concern...if the area caves in though - you want to call the doctor or go to ER. You'll want to watch for confusion, dizziness, uneven pupils, loss of consciousness, pink liquid coming from the eyes, ears or nose and any erratic/abnormal behavior. If it was a really bad hit, you'll also want to wake her in the night once or twice just to make sure you can.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2010