what did the doctor mean? please some insight?!

I just had my weekly appt. I'm 38 weeks. She checked to see how things were progressing, she said she felt babys head and she's good and low, but couldn't get to my cervix. Its high and posterior, but soft. Does that mean im not gunna go into labor soon? Am I gunna go over? Or can i still go into labor anyday. This is my 2nd child, my son is 2 and a half

KaylaMarie425

Asked by KaylaMarie425 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Every body is different hon it is hard to say for sure. I went from 4 cm and was stuck there for about a month then all of the sudden I went from 4-10 in less then an hour!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• what did your doctor say?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:33 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Bear in mind that things change by the minute when it comes to pregnancy, and some women go into labor without being dilated, and some are dilated and soft for weeks. That said, high usually means you still have some time left, soft means that your cervix is getting ready to thin out and dilate. As far as I know (could be wrong) the posterior part, in relation to your cervix, has more to do with your uterus's position, but again, I could very well be wrong on that one. Low baby is good, but I know my son was pretty high right up until my water broke, so even that doesn't mean much. You're considered full term (I'm sure you know this), so any day, you can safely go into labor. Try to be patient (I know, IMPOSSIBLE at this point!), it will happen soon! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It really doesn't mean a thing. She can't really tell from that. You may go tonight or in 4 weeks. Only when your baby is finished baking and releases the I'm done hormone to initiate labor will you go into labor. And your dd is only an estimate between 38 and 42 weeks, so, 42 weeks ins't "over". I would recommend stopping the vaginal exams, they don't really tell you vital info and could introduce bacteria in the vagina.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• How is it that she couldn't reach your cervix but she knows that it is soft?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Its your second. You could begin dilating any minute or in a few weeks. Things will move along faster with this one if your lucky. So it could all hit at once.....relax, have sex, and take a long walk!!!!
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010