Why is nudity demeaning? adult content

I was reading through the answers on Parenting.com's poll about posing nude to pay for your child's college (57% said they would) and a number of the those who said no said they felt women who pose nude are demeaning to women and themselves...

WHY? Maybe it's because I was a dancer that I just don't get it, because I loved doing it... But I have always thought it was more demeaning to the men that are paying just to see a naked woman than it is to the woman who's getting paid just to show what nature gave them...

Please SOMEONE clue me in here... Why do so many women feel this way?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Entertainment

• I know that I get embarressed naked these days because I'm a big pregnant lard butt,lol. But I don't look down on anyone for making some money. I think its only demeaning to a woman if she lets herself be demeaned by it. If she holds her head high, is proud of what shes doing,wants to be doing what shes doing,enjoys what she is doing, then thats not demeaning. If a woman was FORCED to do it against her will, then yeah...that would be demeaning.
    To me...if they are willing to pay to see my nakedness..I say..show me the money, pal, LOL. :)Well...I better watch how I word that..dh wouldnt be letting me do that anytime soon...hehe
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it all comes down to the culture. In some cultures, there is nothing wrong with it and the body is to be looked at like an artform or piece of beauty. Here in the US, you should be ashamed to show your stuff because of the culture.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's demeaning, imo, because it reduces a woman's value to that of sexually titallating men.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 11:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Ditto the previous poster. I think that it's the coward's way out, it takes self respect and hard work to do it the right way than to cash out. Sorry, jmo. I think it feeds sinful behavior impure actions and thoughts.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 12:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If I saw my mother naked in a magazine, I would be humiliated.. Its just how the world is & I'd rather pay for my childrens' college through hard work..not flaunting my body.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When I was young, my mother was absolutely beautiful... I would have - and still would - applaud her for doing a nude shoot... I would be far from humiliated... I would be proud! That's why I'm asking... WHY is this seen as so demeaning for women?

I see women who do these things as Strong, Proud and Beautiful... If they weren't all 3 of those they could never make it through the shoot itself...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It doesn't matter how beautiful a woman is.. it shows a lack of self respect.. Show something like your amazing personality or your beautiful smile.. Why show something to the world that should only be shared with your SO?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• But wouldn't it be more demeaning to the men who are actually admitting they have to pay for it rather than being able to find a woman who would give it to them for free?

It makes their value greater, IMO, because men (and women) are actually willing to pay money just to see them nude... If someone pays to see you with your clothes on, you're seen as a "Star" even if you have no talent (Paris Hilton makes over $60K just to appear at a party) but if someone takes their clothes off they are worth less? That doesn't make any sense...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• IMO.. its gross--shows no respect for yourself.. What special thing do you and you SO have to share if you don't have your bodies?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Kimberlyinberea - this is exactly how I see it! It's only demeaning and personal if YOU want it to be... The human body is beautiful - although like you I am pregnant and really can't see me getting paid for anything at this point - but why hide or feel ashamed of our bodies? How is that right or even okay?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010