Breastfeed or not?

I am due August 18th and I would like to breastfeed my dd for the first 2 months or so. I will have to go back to work part-time and then try to get my court reporting career of the ground. She will have to go to daycare most likely around 9 weeks or so. I don't really want to breastfeed after I have to go back to work. Is it harmful to her for me to stop at that point and switch to formula? I know alot of mother's on here brestfeed for a long time and I know and understand the benefits of it, I just want to know if it's harmful to start and then stop after 2 months?

Laylasmom2010

Asked by Laylasmom2010 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No it's not harmful. Any breastmilk you can give is great. Have you thought about pumping at work or even...did you know that you can train your body to only produce at certain times of the day. Like not producing during work hours but still being able to nurse when you get home? You might think about that.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• nope! any amount of breastfeeding you can do is beneficial!!!! Go for it and do it as much as you can or you like. (a side note also is that babies do get more constipated on formula so you may notice this during switching though)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 11:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No, it won't be harmful to stop after 2 months. When I had my first//I went back to work and he went to daycare at 7 weeks old.I too, didnt want to continue breastfeeding when I went back. But I did want to breast feed for as long as I had the opportunity. I actaully ended up breastfeeding and pumping while I was on maternity leave, so I had a freezer stocked up with enough breast milk to last him until he was 12 weeks old even after I had quit breastfeeding.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would encourage you to pump also, but it is not harmful to stop. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Not at all. A LOT of babies get both actually. I primarily breastfed both of mine for the first 6 mo. but supplemented with formula on occasion. I wanted to be able to leave my kids every now and then without worrying that they wouldn't take a bottle. Why don't you breastfeed for the first couple of months and then cut back to morning, evening and night feedings only. You might be able to work it out to where baby gets about half and half. You could also pump on your lunch break if you were so inclined. Whatever you do, just be consistent and your body will adjust. Even if you only nursed once a day, your baby will still be getting lots of antibodies (protection against viruses, etc) that he wouldn't be getting with formula. If you're going to switch between bottle and breast, may I suggest the Platex Drop In System with the Natural Latch nipples (Brown not Clear), slow flow. Most women I know who did this had succes
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• s with those bottles.
    ANGIE409

• Thanks for the advice everyone! I like the idea of pumping enough so she is stocked up when I go back to work and have to put her in daycare! Thanks again!
    Laylasmom2010

Comment by Laylasmom2010 (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Any breastmilk at all is better than no breastmilk at all.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 12:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Harmful to switch after 2 months? Not at all! Your baby could get all of the benefits of exclusive breastfeeding for 8 weeks until you introduce formula. That would be awesome! I have also known moms who don't pump at work (used frozen milk and/or formula) but still breastfeed when they are home. Keep in mind it does not have to be all or nothing.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Like some others said both :) nurse before you drop her off at daycare, and at night when you're home together. and she can have formula at daycare. It would probobly help with the separation anxiety of having to leave her so young :)
    good luck mama and props to you for even wanting to breastfeed even once!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010