I need help figuring out what to get my daughter for her 8th birthday!

She isnt really into toys much anymore... she plays with her 2 yr old brother's more than she does her own for some reason..? But we always buy her school clothes and probably new shoes too. But I'm sick of wasting money on toys that just sit in her room and are never touched. So any ideas?

ambiedick

Asked by ambiedick at 12:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How does she like video games? there are some really neat games for girls her age you could get her a wii or a ds with some games how about music get her an mp3 player and an itunes card
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• is she a girly girl at all?? Does she like to have you and her time? You could do a mini day spa, like pedi/mani and lunch? Or you could now start with 1 big gift instead of a bunch of little ones, like have her favorite meal for dinner, a cake then deck it out with balloons and steamers still but then get maybe a big gift like an Ipod or a special something she wants. My niece is 10 and not so much a girly girl and no toys either and often times plays with my son, her cousin who is 2-1/2 and does whatever he wants so I understand I think why this is a hard age/birthday!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Do something cool with her friends (mall and a movie or a video arcade or something). Or, see if she wants to re-decorate her room. Now that she is getting older, maybe she'd like to have a say in what it looks like. It might be a fun project for you and her to do together.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• These are great ideas! We dont have alot of money though. I have talked to my husband about finding a deal on an Ipod or DS but she isnt very responsible and we think she could lose it way too easy and break it even easier!
    ambiedick

Comment by ambiedick (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If she is artistic maybe buy her a drawing book, sketch pad, and drawing pencils. If she is girly maybe get her some supplies to make jewlery.

If she's playing with her 2 year old brother's blocks, she might enjoy a more advanced set of her own.

My husband ordered some refurbished MP3 players for $30. You can load them with music or movies.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My 8 yr old is the same way so we went the in the creative direction. We bought her a make your own story book, make your own fashion book (she is really into fashion lol), a little friendship bracelet maker/book set, and an art set. If you go to amazon you can choose by age group and category (i.e. arts/crafts). You could flat out ask her what she wants. I have my older girls (8 & 16) write down all of the things they want and dh & I will choose from the list. Its much better than wasting money on toys they don't like/won't play with. Video games are also a great idea. If you are worried about her responsibility level with a handheld game or MP3 player, just have her "check it out" (like at the library lol) for an allotted time frame. It will help her to be responsible and you up her time as long as she continues to return it in time and keeps it in good working order. Good luck!
    Lily23

Answer by Lily23 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Get toys for outside. My kids lobe to play outside. Chalk is very fun and it's easy to clean too.
    Jenny4Hall

Answer by Jenny4Hall at 2:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• A speical little girl's purse.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2010