am i wrong for this?

my kids act like they cannot clean up thier toys after themselves so i told them that if they cannot clean up i will get rid of thier toys and i meant it i have already gotten rid of one bag of toys.

momof4onesApup

Asked by momof4onesApup at 12:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, I don't think your wrong at all. Good for you for sticking to your word! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• you go momma !!!
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Oh we have done the bag and trash thing too. Nothing wrong with it. If they cannot respect them they don't need to keep them
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• ok thank you so much now i dont feel to bad lol
    momof4onesApup

Comment by momof4onesApup (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Not wrong at all as long as you follow through with the threats.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Don't completely get rid of them. Put them where only you know where they have been put. Then if they are missing a toy that you put up......come up with conditions on earning it back. If after 6 months, they haven't asked for any back, then you sell at a yard sale, or give to goodwill, etc. My kids have lots of toys as we have 4 children spread out over a 7 year period...what I ended up doing since we did have the room....1/2 the toys were boxed up and would be put away for a month or so and then we'd rotate toys out. And once a year we went through all toys and gave away those that they didn't want any longer. There have been exceptions - ALL Lego blocks have been kept with the toddler sized ones going up into the attic, my daughter kept all her barbies and baby dolls, and my youngest still has his Transformers (He's 13).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No, you aren't wrong. Why keep things around like nice toys if they aren't going to respect the things you buy for them?

One of the 'hardest' times of my childhood was when my mom did this same thing, but then made us go with her to Goodwill to donate the bags of toys. Because she had just been bagging them up and finally we just pushed her too far and she put all the bags in the car and off we went. All three of us cried.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 12:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• nope, my mom did the same thing to me and my brother when we were little. it worked, and we started cleaning up our toys.
    anything that was left on the floor, she got rid of.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i feel so much better and i told my girls that we would get rid of all thier toys except for thier dress up clothes and thier baby dolls and thier accessories strollers etc. now i am just trying to talk my son into getting his toys cleaned out hopefully we can do that today
    momof4onesApup

Comment by momof4onesApup (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• SO did this not too long ago. They were upset at the time but to be honest, they don't even remember the toys he got rid of!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010