so about a house we're considering buying..

this house lol the previous owners got the house taken away and they had let dogs ,cats,fish ect. live in the basement and they urinated,pooped and puked on the carpet it mildewed cuz they never cleaned up the waste besides taking out the carpet how would you go about getting rid of the smell?? It's really bad we're changing the carpe and the pad if we buy it but about that stinch LOL how do we get completly rid of it??

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would put moth balls down there for a couple days before putting down new carpet. See if that works.
    TotallyWarped

Answer by TotallyWarped at 12:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Call in the professionals! Otherwise that smell will not go away
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• thanks maybe I'll rethink this house maybe that's why its so below what it's worth it's an 04 rambler and it's only 144k ...
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• once the carpet and pad are removed clean the floor with white vinegar you may have to mop a few times. let it dry up really well. (may take a day or two) open the windows and use fans. Once the floor is completly dry give it a coat of primer then 1-2s coat of paint. The primer will help the paint stick to the floor and the paint will seal it to help the odor stay in the floor and not into the room. I did this in the house I am living in right now, has been 8 years no animal urine smell yet.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If it's in the basement and the sub floor is cement, I would wash the entire floor down with a Bleach and water solution. I would soak it well. Then open all the windows and use fans on the floor to dry it. They also sell a product called "ZERO". it's a deodorizer and works great. My Dad had a flooring business for over 40 years and always used that when there were bad odors. It originally was only available to the trade but it is now sold in stores. If the smell is in wood sub flooring, look for the stains on the wood and spray ZERO directly on the stains and use fans to dry before covering with tile of carpet.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Once you get the carpet and pad out .. You need to open all the windows if possible. Turn on some fans to help air circulate through the room. Then if it's a cement pallet under the carpet/pad you need to wash it. I mean scrub it down. Then wipe down the walls as well. Don't use anything with Bleach, because Bleach and the Amonia from the urine will be a BAD combination. Very dangerous.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Another way to tell if any of the treatments work is to bring someone with allergies in the house. If they leave fine...then you got everything! The smell is not just a floor thing...its in the vents too.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• What is UNDER the carpet?? It it is cement scrub with straight vinegar - do no dilute. And then let sit!! Put out bowls of vinegar to absorb the smell. If it is a wood sub floor....you'll need to spray with a dilute vinegar water solution - let sit. Again put out bowls of vinegar and then KILZ the subfloor.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You are going to have to tear out the sheetrock and install new.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree to strip the floor down to the bottom- so you know what you are working with. Also, a lot of pet stores sell urine removal stuff that you might want to check out. I have heard from a few customers (while I worked at a petshop) that some of them worked REALLY great, and others not so much so make sure you ask which ones customers have suggested or promoted NOT what the store reccommends.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010