Do you think defensiveness is a natural reaction to being accused, or a sign of guilt?

Not with anything in particular but just in general.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I think its natural
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• In general I think it is a natural reaction when accused.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it can be both. I know when im accused when im not guilty it gets me mad because its like my husband saying this is who i think you are.. For example if he ever came at me with are you cheating i would lose it because thats sooo not me if i got to that point i would leave him and i feel insulted by that. If im guilty im more calm for some reason but when my husband is lying he gets very closed and defensive.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 12:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It depends on the type of defensiveness the person gets. If they are more hurt and shocked that they're being accused, then I think that is normal. If they get angry and start making excuses or trying to turn things around, then I think that is more than likely guilt.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I too think it's natural. Some people can not handle pressure and stay calm when it's most important. If I were innocent but someone was grilling me over and over and accusing me of something, eventually I'd lose my cool. Lots of people react that way.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 12:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My first reaction is anger. Secondary is defense. I feel threatened when someone attacks my character, as any normal person does.

However, to pose ones self in a defensive stance, using combative tactics would indicate guilt. IMO
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it's both. I can't really think of how to elaborate on that.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Depends. Someone is always going to defend themselves when they're accused of something. Regardless if they did it or not. It's how they defend themselves that's the key to seeing if they're guilty or not. If they say "No, John, I didn't take your skittles. I last saw them on the table." In a calm, casual manner is usually a sign that they're telling the truth without guilt. When they make eye contact is another sign of truth. When they don't make eye contact and react like "You're accusing me of stealing your skittles? We've been friends for 10 years, how dare you!" In a hostile manner is a sign that they're guilty of something. Some people can still stay calm with a guilty conscience, but they still react in the same manner without a raised voice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would imagine it goes hand in hand with being accused. If it's worded correctly it won't come out like an accusation. That might help.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it can be a sign of both. I know if I was accused of something that I didn't do, I would be angry, and automatically defensive. But if I was not guilty, it would not be difficult to prove it. However, there are times when I was guilty and I was defensive. Only because I could not act cool. I was afraid of the outcome and that made me defensive.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 1:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010