Is it ok to lie?

I'm a SAHM and I have never had anybody watch my children for me other than close family members. I'm in the process of looking for a babysitter right now, we are doing interviews this weekend then will be having the ones we liked over at some point for a "play-date" to see how they interact with the kids. I'm so nervous and I really don't think I'm going to see how they really interacts with my LO's with me right there hovering over them. So I was telling my mom how nervous I am to leave my kids with a stranger and she said I should just tell them all that we have wireless nanny cams throughout the house that we can go online with our phones to check at any time (even though we really don't) and this will weed out the ones who "have something to hide" right away. I wanted to know what other moms thought about that. Is it wrong to lie to them, or ok to do in this situation to be sure my kids are safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think all moms are nervous about leaving their children w some1 new. When my children were younger, they were in daycare from the time they were 6-8 wks. old until they went to preschool, then kidergarden and so on. However, my sister-in-law recommended the facility we chose be she's worked in daycare 4 the last 10 yrs. and @ 1 point, they were w/ her. But if you don't have that option, then I agree that telling any potential candidates about a nanny cam is ok because it's all about protecting our children.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I would tell them I have nanny cams set up. But I don't think I would go as far as to say that we can look at them any time on our phones. That may scare away some of the good ones too. I know if I was babysitting someones child, it would not bother me to know that they had nanny cams set up, but if they told me they could watch them over their phones it would make me a little anxious while I was watching the children.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yea, just tell them you have the camera's. Dont tell them your watching all the time. Just the thought of a nanny cam will frighten off the Bad sitters, or the ones looking to neglect your kid or steal your things. A good sitter dosnt mind a nanny cam.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yeah, what the other two said, but besides that, make sure you get LOTS of references and check them all. And, I would even shell out the money for a criminal background check.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Instead of telling them, ask them. How would you feel about continuous Nannycam monitoring with constant parental access via phone cam? If they come right out and ask if you have it you can say you are seriously considering this prior to leaving your children with her.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Couldn't you get one of the lesser expensive nanny cams and then you wouldn't have to lie?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• this is what I would do..

I would have the baby sitter bring me a copy of everyone she baby sitten for with full names phone numbers and address, then I would ask like friends or family members drop in not letting the baby sister know . it won't hurt mention you have nanny web cams even if you don't. but I wouldn't go any further then that. But now anymore you can check on line see if they ad's on line for baby sitting service ask them if they do. you can get all the infromation you need if they do if not just do what I said up above. good luck
    coolmom2805

Answer by coolmom2805 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i wouldn't tell them how many, i'd just say there is one.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• it is a sin to lie, i would just tell them that if in anyway they hurt my kids i would take them to court and sue them and if that didn't scare them then i would tell them that i would run their name. like putting their name in the newspaper saying how bad they are as a sitter. but then again that is just my way of thinking.
    other then that you need to pray about it and ask god to help you
    ksqueen

Answer by ksqueen at 1:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Who cares if it's a sin in this case I would lie, you are trying to protect your kids. I would get a nanny cam though as soon as possible.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:54 AM on Oct. 2, 2008