Atlanta lawyer wins $11 million lawsuit for family in botched circumcision adult content

The baby in the current case, identified in court documents only as L.G., lost the entire glans, or head, of his penis after it was pulled into the jaws of the clamp, according to a federal magistrate's order.

So I ask you this, for those who believe it is safe, or misinformed about whether or not it is necessary- Would you risk your daughters this way? Would you circumcise them? How would you feel as a woman, growing up without a clitoris from a botch female circumcision?

What is it that drives people to cut their sons?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree, Obby. We don't remove tonsils, gall bladders, and appendix at birth because they MIGHT become inflamed or infected one day. 

If you look at the rate of circumcision in other English speaking countries, our rates are rather high.  It seems rather unnecessary to me.

Your choice, but perhaps it might better be left to your son.  After all, it is HIS penis.  He can always have it done later, but it can never be undone. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• oh, for fuck's sake, are we not allowed to use shorthand now?
    abbreviation isn't "drone-like", it's expedient.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• "oh, for fuck's sake, are we not allowed to use shorthand now?
    abbreviation isn't "drone-like", it's expedient. "

Thank you Auto. We agree again. :-)

I wouldn't circ my boys. I worked in a Pediatricians office when they were born. All THREE pediatricians recommended AGAINST circumcision. With that, and my other research, I'm quite happy with my decision.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My son is not circ'ed and I am so happy we chose to leave him intact.

I HATE to hear about older men having to be circ'ed....YES there are MANY MANY uncomfortable procedures that we as humans have to go through in our life, Even more as we age.....why is circ considered so much worse than anything else.

I know myself I have had to have my tonsils removed, my wisdom teeth removed....and I am only 30.

My dad has had to have stints put in his heart, had his gall bladder removed...he didnt want to do those either, just part of living and life.

There is so much misinformation in America about being intact.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• "And don't start comparing that to having a clitoris removed....they only do that in the backwards, genital mutilating countries, not here. "

See and I see the unnecessary removal of this "flap of skin" as genital mutilation. Just because it's "normal" by society's standards doesn't mean it's right.
    There are hundreds of things that have been seen as "normal" for many, many years that have since been proven to be harmful, unnecessary, and wrong.
    It's just a matter of time before this practice is added to that list. At least I hope so.

When my son was born I was fully informed about circumcisions and chose NOT to have my son circumcised. There was no good reason I could see to do it. Still to this day there has not been a single argument FOR circumcision that would change my mind.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• "Would you risk your daughters this way? Would you circumcise them? How would you feel as a woman, growing up without a clitoris from a botch female circumcision?"

This is the exact question I ask people who see no problem circumcising their sons. What is the difference?
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's true, they all look the same when they're erect. The foreskin on an uncircumcised penis is there to protect the head of the penis. Uncircumcised men have more feeling during sex because their nerve endings haven't been destroyed and chopped off.
    Anonymous

• You DOknow that they remove a fold of skin, not the glans or even a tiny portion of the glans. And don't start comparing that to having a clitoris removed....they only do that in the backwards, genital mutilating countries, not here.

You DO realize that other countries say that same thing about us circ our boys...right? Really, they wonder why we do boys...and not girls.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Wow, that is horrible. But it's also very rare. I have an aunt who died from the anesthetic when she had surgery, but that doesn't mean everyone should avoid surgery because it's unsafe. I have a cousin who lost feeling in his jaw permanently after a root canal, but that doesn't mean no one should have a root canal because they are unsafe. People get hit by buses, but buses are not banned. Planes crash but planes are not banned. I've seen a kid bitten by a goose, but still geese get to fly at will. Things happen. This is a particularly horrible thing that happens, but really what percentage of boys who have been circumcised experience this?

I don't have a son. But if I did, I might circumcise. Rare freak accidents wouldn't be likely to factor into my decision making.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 12:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• What about the baby's choice? --

haha...this isn't a factor when discussing abortion, so its not a factor here. in both cases, the baby is unable to make that decision. the parent does.
    personally, IMO all penis looks the same..ugly little creatures. so our decision to CIRC had nothing to do with appearance.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010