Adult programing at the babysitters house

I can't decide if I am bothered by this or not. My son stays in an in home daycare. He is the oldest at 6. The next is 4, the rest are babies. My son is ALWAYS listening. I dunno if it's normal but he learns stuff quickly by hearing. Well the babysitter has been watching Judge Alex and My Name is Earl and According to Jim... While the older kids are playing in the playroom or at the table. My son comes home talking about and asking to watch these shows. I dunno if I am being a stupid or if I should mention it. I

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 12:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd speak up and ask her about it. Tell her that you are concerned, because your son seems very preoccupied with certain shows, and you do not want him to see/hear those type of 'grown up' shows. If she gets huffy or upset, then it is a clue that maybe she is not the best choice for caregiver. Afterall you are paying her to watch and interact with your kids, not to watch tv.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't see any of those as "Adult" in a way that is damaging to children... My kids are 4 & 3 and we watch all that with them in the room... If she was watching something violent, bloody, sexual or whatnot, I would see an issue, but those are just every day shows... Not really something I would put on FOR a child, but I wouldn't turn them off because a child was in the home either...

That said, if she's really taking care of your children and others - how does she have time to watch all that tv?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If YOU object to the programming then say something. You are paying for her to watch your children and she should be watching them - not watching TV. And if she needs the TV on for background noise - I'm like that - then it should be on programming that is appropriate if a child were to stop and watch or even hear. Disney, Nickelodeon are around for a reason.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Why is the sitter watching tv anyway? She should be watching the kids. And I would say something. There is a lot of stuff on those channels that kids that age should not be watching.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• That's the thing to. I dunno if it's 'just on' or if she is sitting watching it.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would mention it. The babysitter may not realize that not all parents would consider this acceptable programming for young children. I would just be sure to bring it up in a way that is not accusatory.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well, they are a little harsh with words on these shows.

I often have wondered about that to at times. My husband watches things like

2 and 1/2 men and how I met your mother. Both seem very adult in content to me.

He thinks it's silly that I ask him not to watch them with our 5 yr old running around .
    Your right kids pick up things.
    I would ask her maybe if it is possible she can watch something a little more child/toddler friendly.

Most day care center's I have used have music playing for kids or sprout, pbs, or nick jr.
    You would think that she could have these on ...

It's worth mentioning at least. .. :) Good luck
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I just hate that all the sudden my son is talking about My name is Earl and Judge Alex all the time. I keep telling him those are grown up shows. And actually I do not watch stuff like that with the kids awake. I really don't. He watches the news some and things like Cake Boss or Man vs. Food or things like that , that we have watched first.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sorry, my computer screwed up and my answer registered twice...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010