Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

A question about outstanding warrants and other legal jazz...

If a person has an outstanding warrant for their arrest due to a misdemeanor, (sp?) does anyone know if after the warrant is out for x amount of time, if it can be charged as a felony? I tried looking this up, but couldn't find it anywhere.

Also, if a person writes a bad check for $800 to prevent eviction, and that bad check was handed over to the District Attorney, is that considered a felony?

I wasn't sure which catagory to put this under, and just so you all know, I'm not asking for myself lol. I wouldn't get myself wrapped up in such a mess! Thanks ladies!

Answer Question

Asked by nicolemstacy at 12:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Health

Level 19 (7,807 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Over $300 in our state is a felony. You can check your state statutes to find what constitutes a felony amount or call the Prosecuting Attorney's office. you may be able to fix it without going to jail if you call them

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • The first question....... I know people that had warrants out for years and it did not turn into a felony.

    The second question........I don't think it will turn felony if u did it just that one time.

    But each state have there own laws. U can call the jail in your area and get some information.Or the police department.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 12:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • I checked your state (VA ?) and the statutes there have Grand Larceny (felony) as over $200. Double check with your District Attorney's office to make sure. You can call anonymously to ask that.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

    That might help answer your question about the check.
    I'm pretty sure that the misdemeanor will stay like that, but the second issue is a failure to appear...that's separate.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • In answer to your first question, the misdemeanor charge would have to be dropped and a new felony charge filed. One can't turn into the other

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • OR the felony can be ADDED to the misdemeanor.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • Okay I'm currently in Oklahoma and I'm asking because someone that is living with dd's bio mom is in this mess. If he gets convicted as a felon, she will not be in compliance with the court order. Thank you for your help ladies!

    Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
quitting smoking

Next question overall (Just for Fun)