To work, go to school, or stay at home with toddler?

I've been a SAHM since I graduated college in May 2009. I'm getting restless with having the same routine every single day and I think my son is as well. We recently moved and don't know anyone where we live now so our social interaction is limited. I know my son needs to be around other kids and I need to have more interaction with people that aren't online or the TV. HELP? Any suggestions...ideas...comments...I'm open to all!!

Should I go back to school? Should I get a job? Or should I just stay with the same routine we've been living with for the past year??

KBrae15

Asked by KBrae15 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in

• how about part time work that way you and him could get away for a little bit and meet new people but still be able to spend time together and possibly gradually go to full time
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 12:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Exactly in the same boat. I have been in the same town for a year and have a toddler and have tried on many attempts to find other adults to talk to.
    Well I applied to college here in town and found a church that I now attend. Oh such a great idea. Now I am going to school for nursing. With a toddler and my husband working full time. Wow let the chaos begin. Lol
    I wish you luck on your journey!
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 12:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Do what YOU want to do. Personally, i'm all for continuing education, and since you've been a SAHM for over a year, and obviously aren't struggling financially, going back to school seems like it would give you the "adult" time and interaction you need, and you'll still be able to spend plenty of time with your son since you pick and choose what classes and at what hours you'll go.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Have you gone to the story hour at your local library? Could meet young moms there. Also, just going to a playground you might meet someone you click with. Check with your chamber of commerce for things to do and they might have leads for mother's groups. Also, a local hospital maternity ward can give you some leads for groups.

Going back to school is something you have to answer for yourself. Is there some advanced degree you would love to get? What does DH think? Same with working....is that what you really want to be doing? Your family will be happy if everyone in it happy. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If part-time work or school is an option, then I'd go for that. That would seem like a good solution giving you the best of both worlds.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well, thank you all for your answers!! This is my first time using CafeMom and wow!! Response time is unbelievable!! I think going to back to school is the best option as well. However, not knowing what the future holds for me, I'm unsure of what to go to school for...
    KBrae15

Comment by KBrae15 (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• look at occupational outlook at http://www.bls.gov/ for careers there should be a demand for in the future.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Keep staying at home. Find a park to go to often. Call the library to see if they have any kids programs for the summer.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• These are all great ideas!! Thank you so much!!
    KBrae15

Comment by KBrae15 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Join a moms group or like a previous poster said look into the library I been taking my daughter since she was 1 1/2 to story time at ours
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

Next question in
What would you do?

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Could my back pain be cramping?