Is my cooktop supposed to smell rotten??

I just recently got my first gas cooktop, i had a cheap electric one before. Ive noticed that it always stinks, is this normal?? They've tested for leaks, and nobody else smells it. (its propane) at first i thought something had spilled and i didnt notice, but now ive noticed its all the time

RhiannonHunt

Asked by RhiannonHunt at 1:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I think that's a fairly normal thing - you're probably just more sensitive to the smell. There is an additive in propane to make it smell, so that it's easily identified if it is leaking (our local propane place sends a mailing out yearly with a scratch-and-sniff, to make everyone aware & remind them what propane smells like). There has to be a tiny bit of gas moving through to keep your pilots on, so that you can turn your stove or oven on at will - if the smell wasn't there you'd know you didn't have the gas there to ignite your flame. If the smell bothers you, have you looked into getting an electric stove? I know our house has the option for both - but the gas line for the stove is capped and turned off since we chose electric.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 5:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• And they HAVE checked for leaks? I'd have them double check to make sure. Are the pilots completley turned off? How about the oven? Is that off all the way?
    Only other thing I can think of..is to lift the top up and see if you've got you a dead mouse in there somewhere.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Do you smell it only if you get too close to it? I know that the burner is supposed to always have a slight smell from it being gas and all but if the whole room smells you may want to call where you purchased it from.
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• its just when i walk close to it, and nobody else can smell it...even people with "strong" noses....
    RhiannonHunt

Comment by RhiannonHunt (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I used to have a propane cook stove and it made the room stink and yes there was a problem with it...I would make them recheck...keep complaining! can you take it back?
    bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• What kind of smell is it? Some people are more sensitive to smells than others - my mom has a gas stove and she gets horrendous headaches from it in the winter but my dad isn't affected, nor are myself or my kids when we visit. I grew up with a gas stove, but have converted to electric - but knowing what kind of smell it is would help.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• let me clarify it does not make the room smell...just a small area when i stand next to it. 4 ft away from it i cant smell it. and its kinda like a gas smell i guess...kind of rotten
    RhiannonHunt

Comment by RhiannonHunt (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010