I just found out that I am pregnant with home pregnancy tests and I called my doctor and she does not want to see me until I am 8 wks is this standard when you first get pregnant? (this is my first)

I was just surprised because I thought that when you call and tell them they schedule you to come in right away. I also chose to go with a midwife if that makes it different?

Hlchambers3

Asked by Hlchambers3 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it is very standard. Unless you have a history of complications or other things they will wait till then, better chance of hearing a heart beat or seeing more development on an ultrasound.
    Marrevilla

Answer by Marrevilla at 1:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, it is standard. I felt the exact same way when I found out I was pregnant with my first child. I was all in a tizzy and thought everyone else would be too, lol. But no, the OB/GYN's office wanted me to schedule an appointment for like 6 weeks later. I guess they weren't as excited as I was :) Really, it's normal--don't worry, you'll get tired of all those appointments real quick anyway. Best of luck to you.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It is standard. It surprised me too! But I'm diabetic, so I am seen sooner and more often.
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes that is standard. There is more developement on the ultrasound so they can get a better picture. It doesn't make any difference whether you chose a midwife or a doctor, they both would see you are around the same time. Congrats and good luck!
    ktlyn79s

Answer by ktlyn79s at 1:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It seems pretty standard. I saw my midwife at 5 weeks, but this is my 5th pregnancy and I have had 2 miscarriages and 1 stillbirth.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• That's pretty normal. I remember being shocked by that with my first too.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes that's normal, they don't want to see you untill you are 8 weeks, b/c you can't really see anything in the ultrasound before 8 weeks.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes tht's norma, I just found out im preg with #2 and they dont wann see me untill 11weeks 2 days! ill amost be in my secound trimester!
    TPT420

Answer by TPT420 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It depends on the OBGYN and/or Midwife.  The Certified Nurse Midwife I decided on said that they would never turn down an appointment as the first trimester is very important and they want to be able to answer all your questions and give you all the information you need to maintain a healthy pregnancy.  MAKES TOATAL SENSE TO ME!  I liked their thinking.

SupriseImPregy

Answer by SupriseImPregy at 1:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, normal. My doc wanted to see me between 8 and 10 weeks. I went at 9 weeks. She did an U/S during my first appoinment and I got to see and hear the heartbeat then.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010