what is the proper way to punish my 15 month old ?

okay so here is the problem my son is almost fifteen months old, and i have no idea how to punish him correctly. he is old enough and smart enough to know when he is doing something he isn't supposed too and he def. knows what "no" means. he does this thing when he gets mad and will yell like "aggh" purposely at who ever made him mad and im having issues because he cries over every little thing. its an obvious fake cry but its him trying to get his way. spoiled.
i have been doing things such as saying no, smacking his hand and honestly even tapping him on the butt when he does the yelling at me thing. problem is its not getting any better and doesn't seem to help at all. this is my first child and i am a young mom, any help or advice would really be appreciated :)

danihandlon

Asked by danihandlon at 1:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At this age he is starting to test his boundaries. "How far can I push something before mommy gets mad?" That is why the fake cry comes out.

We started time outs around that age. I would give 2 warnings and then I would put him in a time out and explain "When mommy says no it isn't because she is being mean. She just doesn't want anything to happen to you." He may not be able to understand everything I'm saying, but my tone and the hugs I give after seem to really be getting the point across. Also once time out is over if he starts to head back to whatever it was before I would get him interested in something else "HOLY COW!! This (insert toy here) is sooooo cool! I sure wish I had someone to play with..." and it usually works. :) I'm not a fan of spanking but have spanked my son. Some times a slap on the hands or butt is the only way to get the point across.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 1:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Do you have a playpen? When he is being uncooperative, firmly say "NO" and you can put him in the play pen for a "time out". Walk away until he has calmed a bit and then go get him. (No longer than a few minutes). Redirection is another great way. Say he's focused on getting into a cabinet and you've kept moving him away from it and he keeps running back to it...pick him up, take him in another room, sit down on the floor with him and get him interested in something else, a book, another toy, a game of peek a boo...something like that.
    Good Luck!!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• my sons 20 months old and we smakc hands,say no, swat at the butt, and do a time out. we put him in the corner with a beanbag behind him so he cant move or stand there and hold him in the corner for a minute.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We mostly used the redirection method with our son at that age. We did start incorporating time-outs as well. We never used any sort of physical punishment.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'm in the same boat you are with my 14 month old dd. I asked a question similar to this and got some really great advice. Feel free to check it out! Best of luck momma!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Not very harshly.

His ability to understand what the heck you're even talking about is very limited at this point.

For now, you should just redirect him or remove him from the situation.
    How much do you remember from when you were 15 months old?
    Do you remember telling yourself, at that age, "I really need to do something different to please this woman. Let's see, how can I change my behavior next time?"
    No, no one does.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• First of all, PLEASE Don't hit. It does not work and is just mean. He is bored & needs to be re-directed. If my DS does something REALLY bad like reach at the stove or run a little away from me outside, I will Yell loud to shock him. It's enough to stop the behavior. You need to occupy his time. Local Libraries have infant & toddler programs that are free and are GREAT. You have to sign up in advance so you should go to the Library & look into it. They have play time, crafts, puppet shows & story time & music. Then you can pick DVD's & books. His behavior is normal for a boy his age. We just have to bear with it and this too will pass. Good luck!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Their understanding of a situation is actually greater than most people think, it depends on the child. I would suggest re-direction first, which can work very well. I would also help him to identify his feelings so he can "voice" his emotions. My youngest would throw a tantrum for various reasons and helping her to "use her words" to identify her feelings helped me in most situations. You could also use pictures of happy/sad/mad faces to help him. For offenses like yelling at you, I would give a firm NO and a short reason ("we don't raise our voice to mommy"). Always stay calm, kneel down to their level and be consistent. Much of their learning is by repetition.
    Lily23

Answer by Lily23 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010