Question about food intake and breastfeeding.

I'm breast feeding my 11 week old daughter. Does how much food I eat during the day effect my milk supply? It's been SUPER hot where I live the past few days and I haven't been eating as much and I notice her wanting to eat what seems like every 5 minutes, and she's not sleeping as well as she used too either. She's got a normal urine out put, and has a messy diaper a least every other day, so all signs point to her getting enough. Is it time for a growth spurt again? She'll be 12 weeks on Saturday. Any insight would be appreciated. She's my 3rd baby, but the first one i've nursed, so I feel like a first time mom all over again.

milfalicious08

Asked by milfalicious08 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastmilk will be fine either way. If you eat fewer calories than you use, then you'll lose weight, and this is even more likely to happen when you're nursing, since it takes about 500 extra calories a day to feed the baby. What you eat will make a difference in the flavor, and if you eat fruit and veggies, your baby will be more likely to eat them later when you start him/her on solids.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I was wondering this one myself too. But since I've had my baby about 7 weeks ago my appatiate has been really poor and I don't eat a lot during the day. My milk supply is ok but sometimes it is down. Honestly I don't believe what you eat has anything to do with it. I keep hearing/reading people say that how much your baby nurses is how much milk your body will make. And to increase milk supply the best is to nurse every time your baby is hungry, but there is other ways like eating a bowl of oatmeal everyday and drinking 64 oz. of water a day. But if you are really worried you could talk to your baby's doctor and they will tell you if it does affect it or not but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Hope that helps.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 10:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• you need about 400 extra calories a day to produce milk. if it's hot, she's probably drinking more for hydration. 12 weeks is a pretty typical spurt time too...
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• yes food is a big contributor but more is what you drink... increase your liquid intake, like water and milk.. my son has a milk allergy so i have given up dairy, so i drink about 100 ounces of water a day..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• You can be anorexic and still produce milk. Not drinking enough will kill your supply, she is probably drinking for hydration and it is growth spurt time.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 11:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• they have a growth spurt at 12 weeks so that could be it!! But how much food you eat doesnt necessarily effect your breastmilk, your body just ends up depleted if you dont eat enough, rather than your breastmilk being depleted. I would guess its the growth spurt. Your doing good mama, stick with it!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2008