Is BP cap making things worse?

Scientists huddled Tuesday to analyze data from the ocean floor as they weigh whether a leaking well cap is a sign BP's broken oil well is buckling.

Oil and gas started seeping into the Gulf of Mexico again Sunday night, but this time more slowly, and scientists aren't sure whether the leaks mean the cap that stopped the flow last week is making things worse.

The government's point man on the disaster, retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, will decide again later Tuesday whether to continue the test of the experimental cap — meaning the oil would stay blocked in.

He said Monday the amount of oil leaking was so far inconsequential. But ever since the flow of oil was closed off Thursday, engineers have been glued to underwater cameras and pressure and seismic readings, trying to determine whether the cap is displacing pressure and causing leaks underground, which could make the sea bed unstable and cause th

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The idea of this outrage getting any worse boggles the mind...but I guess anything is possible! This will be decades of cleaning and repercussions environmentally speaking. I realize we have due process in this country, but this in my humble op is not just an American problem. Ocean waters belong to all of us....its inhabitants first and foremost. To say it is unconstitutional to freeze BP's assets until this entire disaster is resolved to me really doesn't hold water...no pun intended. You would think that taking responsibility would be a no brainer...in a perfect world. So, if this cap is making it worse...add it to the list of things they are responsible for. These relief wells....well they should have been in place before all of this happened. That is what happens when you have inspectors in bed with big oil. Let's face it, the damage is done! The big question is HOW to fix it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• OH Gosh I hope not!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Umm I think having the oil spewing into the gulf would be about as bad as it could get. BP is doing everything they can to keep this from happening which is more than I can say about our government
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• its, BP is not doing anything OK. Nobody is doing anything OBVIOUSLY!!!! This is sad and sick at the same time. It is sad because animals are dieing! Our land is being destroyed more and more everyday! That is the sad part. The sick part is this is the remains of dead animals!!!! It is covering out living animals, it is covering our living earth! Out water! The life of everything! Can't we work together and try and do something? Come on people this is going to effect the world FOREVER!!!!!!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010