How can I get rid of the ants in my compost???

I just started (organic) composting for the first time. Im really excited to watch it mature, but there is one problem...ANTS!!!!!!

I went to check my bin this morning only to find like a MILLION of them EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

I dont know what to do, Im iching just thinking about them! Any advice or tips on how to get rid of them? Are there any natural/organic resources or tools I can use?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 1:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well... I'm not sure that there is a whole lot you can do because a compost pile is baisically a big pile of yummy goodness to them and ants will come from far off to get to it. And I don't think you want to use any pesticides because (I assume) you may be putting this on a vegetable garden or something. There ARE natural bug killers, I use Bug Arrest ( The Bug Solution) but that has to be spraed directly ON the bugs and doesn't act as a deterent. My suggestion is... if it isn't near the house to just leave it. OR to find the anthills and deal directly with the ants there so you don't 'contaminate' your compost.

Good luck!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Found this for you.

Ants generate when a compost pile is either too wet or too dry.

To eliminate ants, determine if your compost pile is wet or dry. The contents should feel like a moist sponge. For dry compost, add water to the bin and mix the contents with a pitch fork, rake or broom handle.

For wet compost, add brown materials such as grass clippings, newspapers, shredded paper, torn-up egg cartons or dead leaves. Mix these materials with the substances in the compost bin until all of the material is moist but not saturated. Be sure to keep your arms and hands covered so that ants do not crawl onto your skin.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/keeping-pests-out-of-your-compost-bin#ixzz0uMTuC6hs
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 7:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2010