14 Months with no sign of separation anxiety

Hi: My son just turned 14 months old. So far he's a happy baby, very playful, 25 pounds, healthy. But I am just a little worried because he doesn't clap, point, wave, he doesn't show any sign of separation anxiety, he doesn't care if I leave the room or if someone else holds him, he's always putting his hands on his ears, bangs his head on the wall,I had him checked recently and the Ped said he's fine and that if by 18 months he doesn't point, wave, clap etc then she'll have him evaluated. Does anyone know why my son hasn't show any signs of separation anxiety, is it a bonding thing, autism, is it normal? I co-sleep him in the middle of the night and he is still breastfed. I'm a stay at home mom and we're always together, he's my first child. I've been reading all these Autism stuff and they mention all the red flags and my son has 3 of them. What do you think?, please share any experiences and thoughts.

Thank yo

Nenakarina

Asked by Nenakarina at 1:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I will be honest and say that he does have a couple of red flags...but he is far to young to be worrying yourself too much mom.

My dd has mild aspergers and she never had separation anxity either....but neither did my typical son. I was a SAHM breastfed and was rarely away from them too.

Peds often miss signs....keep an eye on him....he should be starting to say a word or two at least....if not...thats another red flag.

But then again, some of these things are just kids being kids...dont read too much into it yet...just watch him and if you are still worried in 6 months....tell his ped that you want him evaluated.....for delays
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I wish my son didn't mind if I left the room or if someone else held him. He won't even let his dad hold him, and has a heart attack if I even walk into the kitchen to check on dinner. I wish my son were a little more independent. As far as autism, I don't like labeling kids so early in age. I would say just work with him,, play games like pat-a-cake and sing songs and point and do all kinds of fun things with him. My son won't be interested in something, unless u start singing or dancing, and then he's so into it. Also every time you or his daddy or anyone passes by, wave at them and say hi or bye, like constantly, and see if he wants to start doing it. don't start thinking autistic just cuz he's so busy playing he doesn't do exactly what u want him to
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• my daughter has autism
    banged head
    little separation issues
    stared at fans and lights
    no pointing

also when i said to doc that she banged her head until bruised, he said "kids are quirky"

i waited, finally he gave referral, i should have gotten a 2nd opinion when my instincts said he was wrong

gl!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Also my son didn't say a single word until he was like 18 1/2 months so don't let that be something thatmakes u think he's autistic just because of that. doctors these days want to send kids to early intervention if they arent talking in sentences by age 1. back in the day if a kid was silent until he's 3, it was just cuz he didn't feel like talking
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No Butterfly...the lack of speech alone does not make a child autistic...it is a combination of many many characteristic...but if a child is having issues with speech its worth noting and its worth early intervention. It doesnt hurt them to go, but it can hurt them NOT to go.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• at first I was going to say "wait for it" but then you said he puts his hands over his ears~bingbing~get him evaluated cause that is a nonverbal thing kids on the spectrum to....sound is overwhelming to process sometimes, and they don't imitate~that wave, blow a kiss, how bigs the baby...

one of the things worked on is teaching imitation~it is suprising how much learning and talking has to do with imitation~
    6 months is a lot of time to wait in terms of keeping kids learning at their peers rate.

I would expect a baby as closely cared for as he is to NOT want to go to others at this age...
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I urge you to trust your instincts as his mother and keep a close eye on things. The separation anxiety thing wouldn't concern me so much as some of the other things you mention. Early intervention can make such a difference so be vigilant and speak up if you feel you are getting swept under the rug. Good luck, Mama.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010